Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Servicemembers That Lose Their Bearing In Public

uscbigdawg

So I'm heading to my afternoon class and in the sea of mall clothes are four individuals in ACU's. Not that I'm a uniform nazi, and while I don't expect soldiers to be Audie Murphy, I do expect soldiers and more specifically NCO's to wear the uniform correctly. Of these four individuals, not a one was wearing head gear. So, after debating on whether or not to discuss with them, I walked up, confirmed that they were active duty (vs. the normal ARNG and USAR folks that can't wear their uniforms correctly in/around Sacramento), saw that the two males are E-6's, one female is an E-5 and the other female is an E-2.

I asked if I could talk to the two E-6's privately so as to not compromise their authority or have their feelings hurt in front of the E-5 and E-2. I asked them why they weren't wearing any head gear, being that they're in uniform, out doors and not under cover. The response, in a very cavalier tone was that they left them in their GOV and that since they share the GOV with other recruiters, the car's not there and so they don't have their head gear. Definitely NOT an acceptable answer. I asked then if the two E-6's have read AR 670-1 Wear and Appearance of the Military Uniform and when they are authorized to be outdoors and not have head gear on. Further, I asked that if they're going to be in uniform, in public, at a college and have a young soldier in their company that they as NCO's set the standard by wearing their uniform and presenting themselves properly?

They agreed, but of course gave the textbook answer, "Roger, you're right". I'm freakin' pissed as like I said. I don't ask anyone to be the best of the best soldiers. Do your job, stay out of trouble and never compromise your integrity or put the military in a bad light. The easiest thing you have to do in the military IS WEAR THE UNIFORM CORRECTLY! If you can't do that, then get out as you lack pride and sense of duty and frankly, behavior like that, especially in a NCO is inexcusable.

Rich

Frankly, I'm old fashioned about uniforms. Fatigues, BDU, ACU's, call them what you want, are a work uniform and are not appropriate wear off base unless you are required to wear them for some reason. I don't know about the other services, but I dislike the decision to drop the Army khaki uniforms in favor of wearing the ACU as a general purpose duty uniform.

But that's off topic. I've seen recruiters take liberties with uniform wear many times. I guess they figure that they can get away with it since they are off-base. I've called a few on missing headgear as well and caused a few red faces and gotten some dirty looks in the bargain.

Being recruiters those folks were first line representitives of the military. Now I understand that the average potential recruit may have no clue as to the various dress requirements (indoors, outdoors, etc.) but these recruiters sure did. I've been involved with the Boy Scouts for 20 years... granted nowhere near the same as the military but we start training young men to be leaders. One thing I am forever drilling into the boys, and some of the adults, is that YOU LEAD BY EXAMPLE!

CYa,

Pat

The response, in a very cavalier tone was that they left them in their GOV and that since they share the GOV with other recruiters, the car's not there and so they don't have their head gear.

The response indicates WHERE the headgear is located. The response fails to explain WHY they were in violation of the regulations.

In most circumstances, that might be a minor infraction. These soldiers were actively recruiting and as such were representing the military for the public. Major infraction this this case. :angry2:

Just so you know recruiting is the worst Job in the Armed services. They take the top 10% and put you out there.

There are full time Recruiters' (The ones that have taken the mark of the beast)

And

Tasked Recruiters' the ones that have been pulled out of their normal job in the military and for 3 or 4 years are in Hell.

The Full time guys, in many cases do not treat the Tasked people very well.

Unless you have spent time in the shoes of a recruiter you have no idea.

just for fun, why don't you ask some person in High School or College "How would you like to join the Army?" now do it for 12-14 hours a day, 5 and a half Days a week.

And if or when you don't make mission. See what happens to your career.

You have no idea the presser these People are under.

Give the Hat police gig a break.

Jim M ammo

I will NEVER compromise the history, heritage and respect towards the uniform. It represents more than myself.

Recruiting, while a thankless job, is still your job and in the military, you ARE the front lines of all of us in now and those that stood before you. Too lack the discipline to wear your uniform correctly puts you in a poor light with those that served before and is dishonest to those you're trying to join.

Note too that in April or May, the Army reached it's 2009 recruitment numbers and there are very little in the way of bonuses, duty station choices, etc. being given out. Recruiting, to a large degree, is economically based. When the economy is good, recruiting is hard. When the economy is bad, recruiting is VERY easy.

On a side note, I agree completely with Graham that the ACU, BDU, et. al. are "combat" uniforms and should not be worn off base, except for the milk/diaper rule.

Rich

I walked up, confirmed that they were active duty (vs. the normal ARNG and USAR folks that can't wear their uniforms correctly

Rich, what do you have against USAR and ARNG ? I was USAR and we deserve the same level of respect as any active duty soldier. I went through the same training, took the same oath, and wore the same uniform. And I wore it proudly. I wouldnt take two steps out the door without my headgear, for the same reason I had my BDU's pressed, and boots shined everyday .... honor.

So why the comment about USAR not wearing their uniform correctly?

Nice excerpt Chris. Let's be intellectually honest and state the entire sentence because it states:

...(vs. the normal ARNG and USAR folks that can't wear their uniforms correctly in/around Sacramento)....

But thanks for trying to start a fight.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

So for those of us who dont live in/around Sacramento.... would you be kind enough to explain why you feel that they cannot wear their uniforms correctly ? :huh: What about active duty in/around Sacramento.... do they have the same dress code violations?

It it a fashion issue in Sacramento?

Is it only USAR & ARNG ?

Nice excerpt Chris. Let's be intellectually honest and state the entire sentence because it states:
...(vs. the normal ARNG and USAR folks that can't wear their uniforms correctly in/around Sacramento)....

But thanks for trying to start a fight.

Rich

Edited by Chris Keen

Enough.

• Rebuttals are not permitted!

The Hate forum is for rants only - no lengthy discussions or debates.

Hate Threads that turn into discussions or debates will automatically be locked without notice.

CLOSED