Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultimate Limited 10 Gun

PaperHater

I don't think any of that stuff really matters in a SS. Give me a good trigger, Bomars, mags that work, a checkered front strap and I'm happy. I wouldn't invest in a SS just to shoot L10. I would rather spend the $$$ on ammo and match fees and download my limited gun.

And to actually win at a high level- probably go with a wide heavy .40 .....

I bought into this and have two long wide dust covers. I am convinced now that it doesn't buy much. AND... consider this - not a single Limited (or Limited-10) Nationals was won with a Long Wide dust cover. Jerry Barnhart used a standard dust cover .40 and everyone else used non S_I's. (Dang it Phil, sooo close!)

Getting back to the topic, I handled an SV single stack .40 this year (was told it was Kert Gaskil's). Hands down, this was one of the nicest 1911s I've ever handled. That would be my pick for the Ultimate Limited-10 gun.

.40 or .45?

.45. More innately feed reliable in a 1911. Lower pressures = more safety margin, brass lasts longer. Easily available, reliable 10-shot magazines.

Bull or bushing?

Bushing. You can use it in IDPA, as well.

Long dustcover or regular?

Regular. Fits in many more holsters.

Tungsten GR or no?

No. Many people have had tungsten guide rods break on them.

Ramped six-inch, bull-barreled, Triangle Shooting Sports lightened, flat-topped, 50lpi serrated slide finished in boron carbide after being bead-blasted.

Square trigger guard (more meat for my support hand) with 20lpi serrations on the underside, 25 lpi checkered front strap, 20lpi checkered back strap and an SV magwell (maybe an S&A), with Grit/Burner grips finished in hard chrome.

I'm a big .40 fan, but if it's a SS, I might have to go .45... maybe 10mm.... Standard dustcover, stainless GR.

If money were no object? Briley Signature Series top end, which includes a lightened slide, linkless bull barrel, serrations, Bomar, etc. Brazos front fiber optic. Frame would be a Caspian race ready long dustcover w/ built-in magwell and accu-rails. Colt-style undercut triggerguard, 25 lpi checkering. Internals would be Koenig hammer, EGW sear, and Aftec extractor. SVI ambi safety, adjustable trigger and beavertail. Brazed plunger tube and then hardchromed. Cal.=.40 S&W (shoots flatter than the .45). Final adjustments by a good smith.

Alternatively, if money were _really_ no object: The Liebenberg Signature gun (http://www.pistoldynamics.com/Sig_XTx.html). Paul Liebenberg is doing the most innovative stuff in the 1911 world. His guns are a work of art and I suspect they shoot like nothing else.

My perfect Limited 10 pistol would be a stainless steel single stack 1911. Definately a .45. Standard length dustcover. Kart barrel, bushing type. Full-length steel guide rod, with my own custom mag well.

Stainless steel would be the biggest improvement over my current 1911. I really don't know of a finish that will stand up to thousands of draws from a Kydex holster. Even hard chrome will wear through over time.

I've got an STI .40 widebody that I like really well. But it is my Limited gun and I don't shoot it much. Yeah, I'm a little more competitive with it. So, if I feel like being really competitive, I shoot it in Limited. If I feel like having a more fun/challenging match, I choose the single stack in Limited 10. It's just a personal preference, but I like my Limited 10 in Kydex behind the hip.

BTW, I'm not just being an eccentric by choosing to practice with this equipment. I can switch back to the wide body STI and a speed rig anytime I want to and it's so easy that it seems like I'm cheating.

Paul Liebenberg is actually one of the oldest and best in the game. There was a great article in American Handgunner many moons ago about him. He was involved with Pachmayr back in its heyday as well as S&W before they went all... British.

He knows his stuff. That wide link and front sight are pretty cool. I do like the idea of a linkless barrel, though... I think I'll go with NG on that one... still want the barrel ramped, though. BTW, IIRC, that the 'smith at Briley was Liebenberg's "student."

I have a SV wide body, but now I use a S.A. 45 single stack for L-10. The SS is more fun to shoot in L-10 than the wide body. I use the 45 because it has a bigger hole, and its more reliable in a SS (I think). The biggest reason is the FUN factor. I also have gobs of 45 brass.........

Wow - thought I saw a link here to the guns the top 16 at Lim Nats winners used and they were about all widelongheavies. Gotta gime this - When I'm wrong - I'm wrong...
Check out page 79 of the most recent issue of Front Sight. Of the top 16 Limited 10 shooters two of them used Para Ordnance and the other 14 used S_I.

Just a clarification my comment was on those who WON the nationals, not the top 16.