Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to be polite to shooters

As always, I'll throw in the lefty perspective. Sometimes we have to shoot a stage in the opposite direction, please let us get a couple of passes where we don't have to weave through the entire train of right-handed shooters, and don't give us dirty looks when we come around the corner from the other direction.

H.

Good point. I think most of us understand how that's going to happen with lefties and try to be reasonable about it. It also happens on those stages where there isn't any real advantage starting on either side, but those aren't as common and often aren't quite so technical that you need a lot of passes to get it sorted out. R,

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the shooters that have been around a while and lack the social skills, well I like G-manBart's sig line

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

But as far as new shooters go, I've never had one that wasn't happy to comply and thankful that you told them. I remember being that guy :surprise:

fwiw

dj

JimmyZip wrote:

I actually have learned to look at what the other shooters are looking at while waiting my turn.

Yeah, if you kinda stand back where the peanut gallery would normally stand, you can actually learn some things watching other people do their walk throughs. ;)

Here's another one: When you're going to stand there with your eyes closed mentally running the stage (I do this) GET OUT OF THE STAGE FIRST. I run it in my head on the walk back to the start of the line, and frankly if you can't run it and walk at the same time, you haven't got it yet.

Also, if you need to repeat a movement a few times, just look backwards and let us know, I'll gladly give you the position for fifteen seconds or so. But be sure that you have it, don't camp the position for a minute while ten other shooters are wanting to move through it. Step aside, come up with two ideas, step back in and test, and get going.

H.

And since we're on the subject, let's formalize it: Next on the stage should be standing behind the guy on the start point, about four feet away. We need to see who forms the start of the line, so that we can find the rest of the line. Don't be quartered off talking to buddies, then step back in. Be anxious to get on the stage, and we'll all figure out what comes next.

H.

You guys have formal walk-throughs? Wow. Our "walk-throughs" normally consist of the stage designer (usually the match director) reading the stage briefing to everybody, pointing out any areas to watch for, like 180 traps etc. asking "Any Questions?" And moving on to the next stage. Each squad (normally two, evens and odds) then works out its own way of letting people figure out the stage, usually the next shooter and the guy on deck don't need to reset while they "air-gun" as the previous shooter is scored. 'Course with this methodology it sucks to be first, but again usually he gets the slack to walk the stage a couple times before LAMR. We have had to remind people that it's the NEXT shooter who gets to "air-gun." And our stages aren't normally so complicated that you can't just stand off to the side and make up a plan, since you can see everything through our plastic fence walls.

I will say that when KevinC visited and actually did a walk-through and shot his plan he pretty much schooled us Maui guys. We may have to start taking this game a little more seriously.