Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

grand master or benny hill open?

bigstick0000

I agree with Bart completely. Pick something and shoot the finish off of it. If you don't like it, by that time you will know what it is you don't like about it. The differences in most modern Open guns are very slight/subtle and would be completely lost on a new Open shooter.

Hardly, you cannot compare custom built guns to factory guns, and there are more than slight differences between them.

I tested 4 different guns with the following

numerous spring configerations,

ammo loads,

grips,

mag wells,

triggers,

trigger inserts,

guide rods

c-more dot sizes and mounts and blast shields

Poppleholes

gas pedals

38 super

38 super comp

9 mm

Full slide vs. short cut slide

slide weight

If you can build your new custom gun without knowing what your likes and dislikes are, you are wasting your time and money. If you have both, go for it. Go build a 38 super on a shorty with 4 Poppleholes and you'll love open class.

Seems more folks than not dislike shorty Open guns now and popple holes make them worse (for most folks)....and less and less builders are using them as standard (popple holes). When I talked to Dan Bedell he said he couldn't see the difference with or without them and he's a pretty fair Open gun shooter.

My point was that you tried different combos, but you didn't try one, change one thing on it and compare with the previous combo so you don't really KNOW what particular change works better for you, just that you prefer the final combination more. Still, how much on the clock testing did you do between the different setups?

The thing is YOU aren't building the gun, a very experienced gunsmith IS. If they don't know what works reasonably well for the majority of shooters out there then you should find a different smith ;)

I've probably only shot a dozen different combinations in the last year, but I felt that I could do just fine with any of them except one or two that were radically different. Yeah, I have definite preferences, but most won't make or break my results at the end of a match.

A great example would be to look at Brazos and Bedell. They each have two pretty much standard configurations. Full size and shorty. There are some slight things you see changed on those two basic platforms, but nothing that dramatically alters how the gun runs....same slide setup, same comp setup, etc, etc. Take any newbie Open shooter, give them any one of those four combos and they're going to be fine for a long time. I'd lean towards the full-size for most folks and after a year or two if they have tried a different setup that they liked a lot better they can sell the gun for a high percentage of what they have in it and get what they want. The gun won't have held them back at all in the previous year or two. R,

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...