Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mountain bike wheels

Anyone know enough about wheels to help me out? The local bike shop guys think I am nuts when I ask them....

I beat the hell out of my bike and the wheels are showing it, truing once a week isn't going to fly. Bike is a FS, 5" on both ends, 26" wheels and V brakes. Hubs are XT and in great shape, so I would rather skip the disc brake conversion and keep the money. I don't think 29's will fit on either end at full travel so I think I need to stick with 26's. If I am at home or can take my bike with me I put 80-100 miles a week on it, 80% or more spinning most of the time but when I get a chance to bang around in the woods I go hard. I want to be able to drop 6 feet plus, smack curb sized rocks and roots, etc. I am down under 190 pounds now, with all this in mind is there a wheel that will do what I want? My gear is holding me back and that is something that always irritates me.

XT hubs are fine but if really want wicked tough I'd consider keeping those as your back ups - if the rims are at all usable...maybe get a set of slicks to keep on those for road jaunts. Start with Chris King hubs and work up from there (very durable - very light). Sapim spokes are pretty much what my wheel guy swears by and I have no reason to argue. If you are folding your rims you might stay with straight gauge spokes. Rims... I've had real good luck with WTB and Mavic...not up on latest models, however.

The main thing is to get a good (wheel)smith to build them...just like your blaster. Unfortunately, they are a dying breed since disk brakes are the rage. With disk wheels you can have wheels all beat up and since you don't have to count on the rims to be true for a braking surface - the builds aren't perceived as "critical" by the mass producers...wrongly I might mention. I was a dedicated V-brake guy - but you can go SO much faster with disk brakes to scrub your speed...big leap in technology...and they are tacticoool in a biker way.

Stay with a standard 3-cross - no radial lacing for you...I'll reach out to my guy and see if he can help you out if you wish. My buddy/sponsor-shop does have the talent and the dedication to the art.

ETA: Here's a link to a nice set of rims...I'd also consider getting 36 hole drilling instead of 32. http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/display/25800/

Also, when I said Mavic - I meant their rims...NOT their pre-built wheelsets...

Edited by hk_mtbr

Thanks for the help and the links guys, I appreciate it.

I am resisting discs because (dry) my rim brakes will overcome the traction of both tires easily on any surface or flip the bike, if I can lock either wheel or flip the bike at will I don't see the need to spend the money. Wet conditions slow me down, period. After having a hole in my skull you could drop a silver dollar through due to failed bicycle brakes I take bicycle brakes quite seriously. Being told I was going to die wasn't fun. That said, I still ride like an idiot, if I live through it that was a good ride. This is my first full suspension bike, and it is amazing. You can pound this bike like nothing I have ever ridden before. And I can sit flat on my butt and mash over just about anything if I get lazy. As far as comfort and and performance go I don't think I'll ride a hardtail bike again, I'll pay the efficiency penalty (very small in my case) for the comfort and ease of a full suspension.

I guess I need to beat on a disc brake bike a little and see what the difference is. If it is noticeable I'd pay the cost of admission. I do not like gear that holds me back. 29's are interesting to me though too. Discs and 29's have me looking at a new bike and I'd rather not. I am not home enough or making enough money right now to do that project right comfortably. I'd easily sink the retail cost of a new Open gun and mags plus some into a 29'er. I need a road bike first. If you run across a nice road bike, 54-56 and mostly complete let me know. I am looking for a midrange to high end road bike that I can put some real miles on. I have a lot more opportunity to ride a road bike here than I do a mountain bike.

Thanks again, Howard.

A 29er is to a 26" bike like a 6" Limited pistol is to a 5" pistol. Try it, you'll like it. When my wife first saw me on my Specializd Rockhopper 29er Comp Disc, she said " wow, you don't look like you just stole some klids bike anymore" ;) Plus, if do ride road, with the right tires the 29 inch wheels roll like oversized 700c .

+1 on "downhill" wheels. Most wheelsets being built today are all about light weight, and are for people under 150 pounds...... if you aren't afraid of a heavy wheel, and losing a little of the burst in your pedaling, the trade off is worth it to have rims that will last. Mavix EX 721 is a good non-disc one.

A 29er is to a 26" bike like a 6" Limited pistol is to a 5" pistol. Try it, you'll like it.

That is exactly what I am afraid of :surprise: I have got to chill out on spending for a bit or sell some of my gun stuff to even think about a new bike......

The Mavic is well respected, the only negative I can find on that wheel is weight (not an issue to me) and what seems to me to be poor build quality that isn't the fault of the rim. I'll probably get a set and put some slicks on the wheels I have now to burn the roads up. I can true the wheels I have now and get them really good still, I just don't like doing it.

Most burly rims these days are for disc only. Try looking for something in the trials area, might find something... Seems like everyone's gone to discs though. If you have the tabs on the fork and frame, I have a Hayes disc brake set that came off my bike when I switched to Avid Juicy's...

I am resisting discs because (dry) my rim brakes will overcome the traction of both tires easily on any surface or flip the bike, if I can lock either wheel or flip the bike at will I don't see the need to spend the money.

Make the switch to Disc and you will in all likely hood think "Why did I not do this sooner". Current Disc brake technology is far superrior to V-brakes. The predictability and smoothness is incredible. Plus as previously mentioned if (when) you do tweek the rim you wont feel the annoying pulse or rub in the levers. In your case it would be worth the expense. I also second the recomendation of Mavic rims and have them built by a good wheelsmith. Also 36 hole and go with strait spokes not dubble butted. they are only a tad heavier but will hold true longer for hard use.

Thanks for all the help guys. It is going to be Mavics, now I just have to find a good wheelsmith in this area. I like to do business in person if at all possible.

Matt, no tabs. Bike is high end but old enough that it wasn't set up to be disc capable. I paid about 15% of the retail price new with just a couple hundred miles on it, and there wasn't a mark on it LOL. I think I got a great deal. LOVE the bike, but I'll probably end up with a FS 29'er next year and keep this one for a back up bike.