Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice Drills

jkatz44

Dry fire goes a long way - Dave is getting at a good point, there.

If you can't draw or reload, and can't shoot quickly.... in the end, you need a better place to practice. There's no way around it, long term. But, you can get a few things done. You can work trigger control through group shooting. You can work transitions - point the gun somewhere downrange, then snap your eyes to the target, index the gun in, and break a shot. Be creative with what you have - but realize you're going to need to make up for it with dry fire until you can get some other practice arrangement.

When I started out... I went from D to B with basically the same live fire practice arrangements. The only time I could do faster than 1 shot per second was in a local match! So, this isn't a show stopper to progress, but its going to limit you...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Depending on how closly the range is monitored you could probably load 1 round per magazine and practice reloads. As long as you are not breaking shorts one after another they probably not say much.

Have you talked to the RO? The club I shoot at has rules posted against quick fire and holstered shooting. But I told the RO what I was practicing for and asked if it'd be ok if I shot from my holster and did some fast shooting drills and he said, "no problem. Just go down to the lane on the end and you'll be fine. Thanks for asking, though."

Worth asking. Worst they can do is say no and you're no worse off than before you asked.

Depending on how closly the range is monitored you could probably load 1 round per magazine and practice reloads. As long as you are not breaking shorts one after another they probably not say much.

Have you talked to the RO? The club I shoot at has rules posted against quick fire and holstered shooting. But I told the RO what I was practicing for and asked if it'd be ok if I shot from my holster and did some fast shooting drills and he said, "no problem. Just go down to the lane on the end and you'll be fine. Thanks for asking, though."

Worth asking. Worst they can do is say no and you're no worse off than before you asked.

thanks a lot guys

Dry fire goes a long way - Dave is getting at a good point, there.

If you can't draw or reload, and can't shoot quickly.... in the end, you need a better place to practice. There's no way around it, long term. But, you can get a few things done. You can work trigger control through group shooting. You can work transitions - point the gun somewhere downrange, then snap your eyes to the target, index the gun in, and break a shot. Be creative with what you have - but realize you're going to need to make up for it with dry fire until you can get some other practice arrangement.

Great advice here.