Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breakthrough?

PaulW

Well this last weekend I shot the best match "technically" of my life. Now I was hesitent on sharing this because I did not want to come of sounding cocky or have people think I have a big ego. But here it is.

We had 5 stages for a total of 510 points. Now I won all five stages and won the match by like 20+%. Thats not the point here at all. What I found to be so outstanding is for the whole match I was only 18 points down, and two of the stages had the classic ameba targets. We had a good mix of stages, 2 stand and shoots and 3 field courses. Never in my life have I shoot so well. And this was with a borrowed gun, cause mine is at the shop AGAIN! It all just clicked. Knew where every shot went and had only 3 extra shots for the whole match, and those were on steel. It all just clicked, and it felt great!

Paul,

Congrats! I always knew that you had it in you!

It's funny that you make this comment because, while I did not have as good a match as you did, I had an exceptional day of awareness and tracking the dot this past Sunday. The day was mostly overcast and threatening rain but the dot was just so vivid that I was easily able to call every shot and had far better hits than I usually do. Don't know if was the lighting conditions or something else like biorythms or hocus pocus but it just clicked in that respect... let me know if you figure out what was different!

Leo

Very good point Ron, I had not thought about that. I was using (Leo will love this) a borrowed SVI that I had shot before and the gun always shot great. But I really felt calm and very focused on doing my own thing. There was a master open shooter on my squad as well and a few times he shot before me and I started to feel the pressure of having to perform at my peak or I would drop points to him. ( good thing I'm not competitive eh?). But I was able to redirect that tension to kinda say ah, the hell with it, just shot your game and I'll be ok. That's all I did. I was not searching for the A-zone, was to pushing beyond my limits, I just shot the gun and did what I needed to do. No more no less. I usually go through every stage in my mind after the match and grade myself and try and pick the spots that I could have done better. And although I still could improve I was not really able to say, man I really kinda screwed up here, or I should have shot the stage a little different. I had really awesome vision. I seen it before but not to this extint and for the whole match.

Matt B says: Good shooting is boring.

That's very true. When you're performing at the subconscious level there's nothing to get excited about.

TGO says that once you are at the master level, you can't help but shoot fast enough...you need to get the points. That is simply a matter of vision.

You got 'em both right.

SA

And this was with a borrowed gun, cause mine is at the shop AGAIN! It all just clicked.

I wonder if you relaxed more than usual because the fact that it was a borrowed gun meant you didn't have the innate expectation to shoot your best and so you just went on auto pilot and let it rip. Same thing happened to me once in our Grandmaster PPC league: one guy beat me every single week by a few points. On finals night, I knew I'd have to shoot almost aperfect score to have a chance so I basically wrote it off before the shoot. I went out and just cranked them off, only using about half the alotted times per segment. I wasn't even aiming that carefully. I put up a 598/600 and snuck by him by about 1/2 point overall. Relaxation can do wonders.