Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying w/ layover

We have always flown non-stop to avoid any possible issues with baggage (ie. lost gun), but the time will arise sooner than later that we have a layover when going to a match. I am curious to know if anyone has experienced any checked baggage issues with a layover and if there are any tips on how to avoid such. I have read that longer layovers generally mean less hassle with lost baggage, but I'm here to learn!

The less you bag get touched and transfered the better.

Use a cable lock to secure your pistol to/inside the pistol case and so that it cant be removed pistol case and all from your suitcase.

Edited by blkbrd

Like blkbrd said, the fewer times your bag is handled, the better. However, you can't fly to anywhere from where I live without changing planes and a layover. I look for flights that have only one layover/transfer if at all possible. I also try to avoid places that are not firearm friendly (or at least tolerant) like New York or Chicago. Otherwise, I lock 'em up as tightly as I can and make sure I leave sufficient time between flights to ensure that the bags get transferred properly.

I've done a lot of layovers lately and had no problems. We fly out of Buffalo and connect through Atlanta usually and all but one trip our bag have made it. On one trip our flight was delayed out of Vegas and we had to run to make the connecting flight at JFK. When we got to Buffalo everything made it but my range bag with all my gear in it. My pistol was in another case and arrived safely. Delta couriered my bag to me the next morning with everything intact, I couldn't have been happier with their service.

I'm always paranoid about this with my scuba gear. It is large and heavy and costs more money than my race gun. Loosing it can be costly, and make uncomfortable and less safe diving (rental gear). Usually, traveling from the pacific northwest to warm water diving requires two or three plane changes.

I always put two or three extra luggage ID tags on all my bags. It is amazing how many times my luggage looses an ID tag. I know that they have that barcode thingy on there, but if the ID tags can get ripped off, so can those barcodes. I put one on each handle, and try to find a small zipper I can tie-wrap closed with a tag attached.

Now, here's the important part. Don't just put your business card in the ID tag, put your TRAVEL ITINERARY, cell phone, and email address. I also print my itinerary and contact information on paper and put it inside my luggage. If it is lost, and they open it looking for ID, they find all my info.

Mind you, all these precautions don't reduce the chances of your luggage missing a conneciton and being late, but they do help keep it from the dark abyss where unclaimed luggage goes to die.

It sounds as if you are referring here to a flight change rather than an overnight layover. If that is the case then I will agree that the more times your bag is handled the more chances there are of something going wrong.

I've never been a frequent flyer, but have logged my fair share of travel. In the past 20 years, changing planes has become more of a rule than an exception and I've tried to developed a couple rules. Mainly, I try and schedule at least 60 minutes (90 is better) between scheduled arrival and departure. The main reason is that when there is very little time between flights, your chances of getting separated from your luggage goes up - particularly when the flight you are on is late arriving (which is about 85% of the time any more it seems). More often than not, I found that a 2 hr layover gave me time to arrive late and still find time to get something to eat and spend some quality time in the bathroom (hate going on a plane - particularly during turbulance). Sometimes, it's worth the extra bucks to book your flight though a travel agency since they know the best and worst times to be at particular airports.