Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Choice

galt11

I am looking to purchase a 38/357 revolver for all around shooting, but also dabbling with USPSA and some other activities like silhouette, steel, and bowling pins. I think I will stay with S&W as I have had good experiences, but need some advice with the barrel length.

In the 686, they make either a 4 or 6".

Which would you choose and why?

Should I look at the Plus model?

Are there any other guns I should look at?

Thanks for the help.

Adam

I really like my S&W 686. It's inexpensive to shoot. It's works really well, and I have fun shooting it. I can use it for everything. When I was looking for a revolver to buy it was only $400 and I don't have alot of money to spend on guns. It does meet all the requirements to shoot USPSA. However, knowing what I know now I would of saved my money and bought a S&W 625, because I realize that I'm not going to be competative with the S&W 686. I would of had to wait to buy it but I wouldn't be here wishing I had. Make sure it's what you want.

Craig H.

Welcome to the Forum dude! Learn to make good hits with the 686 and save up some money for a 625 later. When you do finally get one, you'll have the best of both worlds and you will be able to smoke 'em shooting major.

Kind of interesting...I have had a 5 inch 625 and a 4 inch 686 for about the same length of time. I use the 625 for USPSA and the 686 for IDPA. I am a solid B class revo shooter in USPSA, and my two best classifier runs (both around 90%) were shot with the 686 shooting minor, when I had loaned my 625 to my son. HMMM

I've met a couple people who prefer the feel of the L or K over the N frame, but I'm not one of them. I know 686s cost less, but cutting it and buying the oddball moons would eat up most of the cost split anyways. I have a 627, and I appreciate the versatility. I'd be looking at the pro model if I was doing it over. The next revo I buy will be a 625.