Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 damaging primers

saibot

Hello experts!

A good friend of mine loaned me a pretty much unused Dillon 650 and helped me get it setup. I am however having a couple of issues with it. I seem to be damaging quite a few primers, see poor image:

bent_primers.jpg

I'm not sure if something is out of adjustment or if it has to do with the case having a problem being fed all the way into the shell plate and quite often hitting the side of the resize/decap die. I've adjusted it as far as it can go so maybe I've got something else really out of spec that may cause both issues. I'm starting to get nervous that I'm going to set off a primer!

Thanks for any info you may have!

Call Dillon on Monday. It looks like either your primer assembly is dirty or the little spring that holds the casing over the primer punch is set too close or too far from the case. There should be a small clearance between the two roughly the thickness of a business card.

The Dillon techs will help.

Everything is clean and moving smoothly on the machine? If so check the following... with the shellplate empty, look at the priming station and see if the primer is centered with the shellplate slot for the cartridge. Looks like yours isn't. This might be the problem which is why the primers are not seating correctly. To adjust for centering the primers with the shellplate you will have to adjust the indexer block which is located on the left side of the machine (nine oclock looking down on the machine) just under the shellplate platform. The block is steel and has a 45 degree ramp on the backside of it which works in conjunction with the plastic ring indexer which is mounted to the shellplate platform and encircles the main ram shaft. Working together they cause the shellplate to rotate clockwise and stop in an adjusted position at each station.Two hex head bolts secure the block to the machine frame which can be adjusted forward or back to adjust the position of the shellplate to center it over the primer. Loosen the two bolts and adjust the block forward or back to center the shellplate over the empty slot in the shellplate. While your at it smear a bit of grease on the ramp surface of the block.

CYa,

Pat

Everything is clean and moving smoothly on the machine? If so check the following... with the shellplate empty, look at the priming station and see if the primer is centered with the shellplate slot for the cartridge. Looks like yours isn't. This might be the problem which is why the primers are not seating correctly. To adjust for centering the primers with the shellplate you will have to adjust the indexer block which is located on the left side of the machine (nine oclock looking down on the machine) just under the shellplate platform. The block is steel and has a 45 degree ramp on the backside of it which works in conjunction with the plastic ring indexer which is mounted to the shellplate platform and encircles the main ram shaft. Working together they cause the shellplate to rotate clockwise and stop in an adjusted position at each station.Two hex head bolts secure the block to the machine frame which can be adjusted forward or back to adjust the position of the shellplate to center it over the primer. Loosen the two bolts and adjust the block forward or back to center the shellplate over the empty slot in the shellplate. While your at it smear a bit of grease on the ramp surface of the block.

CYa,

Pat

Whatmeworry, I may be my own worst enemy. I did mess with the indexer block because it was causing a bunch of "chatter" when the two pieces touched. I lubed, cleaned and re-lubed to no avail so I played with the angle/alignment to reduce the "chatter" and that is probably what threw the primer section go out of alignment. So I guess I now have two questions:

1. How do prevent the indexer block chatter?

2. Why don't the cases enter the shell plate all the way a lot of the time?

Thanks again experts!!!

Alright, I think I have it working well now. The two key adjustments I made that made the most significant improvements were finding and tightening the two very loose bolts under the shell plate, and stretching the spring for the indexer block. These changes as well as breaking everything down and copious amounts of cleaning and relubing have this thing working well and silky smooth with no chatter. Out of 300ish rounds I only had 1 primer get jammed improperly.

Thanks to all who helped me get going in the right direction!

I'm assuming that the two loose bolts under the shellplate were holding the shellplate platform to the main ram shaft. If I am corret in my guess it's a wonder you didn't have a whole host of other problems. Given that those were loose I would take some time and go completely over the machine for adjustments and making sure everything else is tight. I like to use Locktite SMALL SCREW thread locker. Notice I said SMALL SCREW THREAD LOCKER! This will keep everything tight yet screws and bolts can be loosened with relative ease if necessary.

As far as the chatter I don't know what to tell you. As XDNiner stated, Dillon has a top notch troubleshooting staff but you have to have an exploded diagram of the machine and be somewhat mechanically inclined which it sounds like you are.

I have two 650's and wouldn't trade them for anything else including a 1050.

CYa,

Pat

Check the brass- S&B is well known-for having a smaller

primer pocket- had the same problem with my 650 and

found out it was the brass. Could be other problem as

stated above- but CHECK the brass!

whatmeworry-

Thanks for the tip about the small screw locktite. You are right in assuming that if those were loose the others may be too; they were. I found the manual on BE's Dillon pages and read them last night so I had a pretty good idea that something was out of whack because there really isn't any adjustment in that area. Tearing the whole thing apart gave me an opportunity to get more familiar with how everything works as well as clean, lube, and tighten everything. It's clipping right along now.

Rolex-

Ya, I noticed the S&B were tight. Before my buddy loaned me this Dillon I was using a Lee single stage press and had plenty of time to get to know how each brand felt when I hand primed it. I could have told you which brand I had just primed with the lights out! I have a boatload of S&B which always scared me to prime since it seemed like it might go off while priming it. My hand still hurts from that Lee hand primer!

I'll have to check if the one case that didn't prime right was a S&B. Good catch.