Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to EAA

twister

Have a new Limited, and would like to know if there is any differences between the blue mags and the chromed ones Henning is selling? I would like to save a few dollars if possible. Also, need to get an action job done, where is the best place to go? Would the hammer group Henning sells do the trick, or does it need to go to a gunsmith? Thanks for any help, Dave

You will notice the trigger gets better with shooting. After about 1000 rds, I no longer felt like I needed a trigger job done on mine.

Have a new Limited, and would like to know if there is any differences between the blue mags and the chromed ones Henning is selling? I would like to save a few dollars if possible. Also, need to get an action job done, where is the best place to go? Would the hammer group Henning sells do the trick, or does it need to go to a gunsmith? Thanks for any help, Dave

Personally I like the blues mags more they seem to be more reliable. The action job henning sells is very nice it will drop in and probably will not need a gunsmith. For a trigger job, I think Henning is the best person to ask about that.

Also let is break in and see how it feels. only other thing you might do is a 13lb trigger spring.. Shoot it first get 500-1000 rounds through it.

leo

Dave,

For USPSA I'd do the following.

Must haves

10.75 Recoil Spring - This just makes a huge difference in the way the gun feels/recoils

Henning Checkered Grips - Again a huge difference in the ergonomics of the gun. These are just sweet and worth the $$

iFiber - Totally optional, if the stock sight works for you run with it. I found a .090 makes the sights much easier to pickup.

For mags blued are best if you keep them clean/oiled like Leo said. Henning's spring/follower will allow the most capacity without feed issues and his basepads are a no-brainer. Figure 20rnds EASY with 21 after a little use.

Right there you'll have a nice limited gun. I know you wanted to know about trigger but I think the stock trigger is not bad especially when adjusted right. From the factory there is a fair amount of over travel and a TON of take up usually.

Down the road a bit

Henning's Ultimate Prepped Trigger Set - Safety might need fitting if anything. This will give you a nice clean break primarily but if you want it REALLY light you'll need a competent smith to do the work. I personally think the setup is fine as delivered once fitted to your safety.

If you are looking to shoot your pistol in USPSA style matches I have listed below some key upgrades that you should get to make it competition ready. As always you can use the gun as is without issues but the below upgrades will make it all that much better. I hope this helps.

1 – Get an assortment of Recoil springs, 10lb, 10.75lb, and 12lb. Test each one to see which works the best for your grip on returning the front sight to its normal position post shot.

2 – Henning Fiber Optic front sight. Get the .090 width version and play around with the different fiber optic colors to see which one works the best for you.

3 – Henning Aluminum Grip panels. These are a must as the wood grip panels are usually too thick for most shooters. Some shooters prefer the Checkered version and others the Smooth. I like the smooth grip panels and then add grip tape to them as needed to improve my grip traction.

4 – Henning TiteFit slide pin. This is needed for tightening up the slide to barrel lockup. It does disable the slide lock back feature of the gun. But if you are shooting in the Limited division and shooting until the gun is empty then you are doing something else way wrong anyway.

5 – EGW Hammer & Sear. These are needed to make a very nice trigger. The stock trigger isn’t “Bad” but you really can’t adjust it by stoning or filing on the parts because the metal is fairly weak once you break through the hardening exterior. The EGW Hammer & Sear come prepped meaning that they are fairly close to what you need, but still need some work done to make them perfect. I would suggest that you send the gun to a proficient gunsmith to perform the trigger work if you don’t feel confident in doing it yourself.

6 – Henning X-Long firing pin. This is needed to ensure solid primer strikes when using lighter weight hammer springs.

7 – Wolff 13lb Hammer Spring. This is needed to make a lighter trigger pull but you also need to use the Henning X-Long firing pin or you might get some light strike issues with the stock firing pin.

8 – Tune the depth of the extractor. You need to tune the extractor to go deeper than normal. This will ensure that the cases will be extracted every time. Check out Henning’s website as he has an article on tuning the extractor depth.

9 – Mag pads. Henning has an assortment of different extended magazine base pads to increase round capacity within the magazines. His magazine setups also use the Grams Spring and Follower within the magazine. Henning would be able to help you out on what is best for what you need.

10 – Canyon Creek Custom Mag Well. This mag well is a lot larger than the stock aluminum mag well. It completes your grip a lot better as well. You can either get the mag well welded on or epoxy it on. This magwell makes mag changes super easy due to it being HUGE and hard to miss. Unlike the stock magwell.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Are we plinking or competing? Once you compete in anything you need the right stuff and it isn't going to be "cheap". As I said, you don't have to get all of that stuff, but if you are serious about it and want a 100% competition ready pistol, that is what you need. It is what it is right?

Are we plinking or competing? Once you compete in anything you need the right stuff and it isn't going to be "cheap". As I said, you don't have to get all of that stuff, but if you are serious about it and want a 100% competition ready pistol, that is what you need. It is what it is right?

Competition doesn't mean you have to put every bell and whistle on a gun to compete at any level. Generally people tend to compensate for skill or practice by buying ever possible do-dad or gadget available. Competitive pistol shooters are guilty of that as much as anyone.

Starting with the basics and seeing how far skill will get you does a LOT and it also allows a shooter to appraise each change he/she makes down the road for valid performance changes. With that, there are those that have ran essentially stock pistols to great success (Sevigny). Before you say "yeah but he shoots production" check out his Limited gun sometime.

JoshF> Your point is valid and every post I have made on upgrade recommendations has included a statement to that effect.

To be the devils advocate though lets have you take off all the upgrade parts on your Limited pistol since they are not needed. You should be able to shoot at the same level with or without the upgrades right? So why is your Limited gun all tricked out with upgrade parts?

My point here is that we are talking about a Limited gun. Limited division allows for upgrades over other divisions because they do make a difference in performance. Ask any average Production shooter if slapping a Limited style mag well on their gun if it will be an advantage or not. I think we all know the answer to that and it is just one example of effective upgrade parts.

Sure the Top GM's in this sport could pickup a bone stock pistol and still issue a severe beating to most of the average shooters in a match. But that wasn’t the original question. If the question was "What upgrades does Dave Sevigny need on his pistol" my answer would be NONE. For the average Joe shooter, the upgrades I recommended will make a difference. Whether they are really needed or not is up to the individual shooter. Every upgrade part I listed will make a performance difference in being able to shoot the gun fast, accurately and reliably. I don't see any "Bling" upgrades there like fuzzy dice, gold teeth or curb feelers that are more about fashion over function. Do you?

FYI,...depending on your PF,.you will want some different weight recoil springs. I am making 175+ pf, IPSC rules state 170pf for major. I was using an 11.2lb spring, but I think I will try a 12.3lb spring. Depends on what you find in practice or a small match in regards to how it tracks.