Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson/Nowlin vs Clark/Para Ramp

recon215

Can either of these be made to work in the others ramp cut? I also need to know what ramp is on a Rock Island Armory 38 super barrel. I read somewhere that is a Clark/Para ramp, but figured I would ask on THIS forum rather than wasting time elsewhere.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Can either of these be made to work in the others ramp cut? I also need to know what ramp is on a Rock Island Armory 38 super barrel. I read somewhere that is a Clark/Para ramp, but figured I would ask on THIS forum rather than wasting time elsewhere.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Clark/Para.

Going 9mm?

Dave

I think you can take a frame that was cut for the Wilson/ Nowlin ramp and recut it to fit a Para/ Clark barrel. You cannot use a frame that was cut for a Para/ Clark ramp and recut it for a Wilson/ Nowlin cut without welding.

From the Schuemann site: It is easy to convert a Wilson/Nowlin ramped gun to use barrels with the Clark/ParaOrd/Lissner lower lugs.

I don't know about cutting one barrel to fit the other frame, either way round. Wouldn't it be simpler just to buy the right parts?

From the Schuemann site: It is easy to convert a Wilson/Nowlin ramped gun to use barrels with the Clark/ParaOrd/Lissner lower lugs.

I don't know about cutting one barrel to fit the other frame, either way round. Wouldn't it be simpler just to buy the right parts?

Probably Jim, but I already have the top end with the para ramp and can get a good deal on a lower with a nowlin ramp cut.

Probably Jim, but I already have the top end with the para ramp and can get a good deal on a lower with a nowlin ramp cut.

It's easy for a smith to take a Wilson/Nowlin cut and make it into a Clark/Para cut. I doubt any gunsmith would try to cut the barrel as it's an easy mod to the frame requiring only one machine operation if my memory is correct.

My Trojan just had this done a couple of weeks ago. It was standard W/N cut from the factory and Derek cut it for C/P and fit a Schuemann AET to it. Can't wait to try it out soon! R,

Thanks for the help,

Steve

There are some threads on this already, but I didn't find them. HSmith posted some good info on it.

You can cut a Wilson/Nowlin frame to fit a Clark/Para barrel.

You can cut a Clark/Para barrel to fit a Wilson/Nowlin frame.

I did the last. I took a Schuman barrel with a clark ramp and hand cut the ramp to fit a wilson frame.

It turned out great. Maybe I just got lucky. I mic'ed it, cut it down close and then finished it with files, stones and fine

sandpaper. I went very slowly and measured a lot. Having said that it took less than 2 hours.

You might pm hsmith. He'll know and he's a great guy.

Hope that helps.

9x

The information on the conversion process is correct. The Clark/Para/Lissner ramp is the strongest of the two although a properly fitted Wilson/Nowlin ramp should never fail in a properly timed gun.

It is easy to convert a Wilson/Nowlin frame to accomondate a Clark/Para barrel by taking some measurements and a plunge cut with a 3/8" end mill.

I highly reccommend converting the frame over converting a Clark/Para barrel ramp to a Wilson/Nowlin Ramp. If a cutter without the proper radius is used a stress point can be induced into the barrel with may cause it fail.

The barrel fitting instructions are now available on our website as a free download at www.schuemann.com , as mentioned above there is a ramp PDF that has photos showing the different ramps.

I convert all of my frames to a Clark/Para even if I purchase a used gun. (of course I get free barrels too) The C/P ramp is the strongest and you can go from a W/N to C/P but not the other way, that is why we only stock some barrels in the C/P ramp. If you ever need a Wilson/Nowlin ramped barrel that we do not stock we will be happy to make you a special at no additional cost.

Mike

Schuemann Barrels

• 3 years later...