Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 grain HP

SoonerPast

My pistol jams too often. Since it happens in the middle of a course of fire, I haven't been able to really decide what is causing it, but I thnk it is that a 147 grain hp bullet sometimes gets caught on the leading edge of the barrel ramp. Anyone else have a similar experience?

In case you wonder, I still have a lot of this ammo to use up.

Is this reloaded ammo? If so, what is your C.O.A.L.? Could be one mag creating the problem. You'll need to isolate this yourself because of the number of variables. Number your mags and shoot 100-200 rounds. Might just be one that got stepped on. It happens. Guns fail to cycle reliably when our technique goes to crap. Check it. FWIW.

If you're reloading, what bullet are you using and what is your COL? If factory ammo I'd be curious also as to what you're using. My XD has fed pretty much anything w/o any problems.

Edited by zxd9

I've been using Atlanta Arms 147 grain reloads, a really popular load for many, many Glock shooters. They have used more than one manufacturer's bullet, but I have had trouble only with the bullets Zero used to make. They have a bit more lead exposed at the rim of the hollow point. I have not measured the length. My question here is whether to confirm my thinking. Has anyone else had a similar experience with any HP getting stopped at the edge of the barrel feed ramp? This past weekend it happened to me with 3 separate magazines. And just for info, after a good cleaning the night before.

I don't shoot the XD much, but I have had problems in most of the matches that I have shot Production. I have some "new" reloads which have a fmj bullet (147 grain), they might feed much better.

With an XD9 the first question I want to ask, are you using the new 16 round mags or the old 15 round? If it is the old 15 round then it is time for new mags as they changed the design of the follower. 2: Have you changed the recoil spring and/or guide rod? 3: After the cleaning, how did you lube the gun? 4: Have you bothered to polish the feed ramp?

An XD is not a Glock so because it works in one doesn't mean it will work in the other.

The difference between the followers did occur to me, but this past weekend the problems happened with both type magazines. I have not polished the feed ramp, have thought about it, but, the stoppages have had one consistent aspect. The "loading" bullet is stopped with the very point of the bullet stuck nose first on the edge of the feed ramp. It seems obvious, use a different bullet profile.

Someone advised that I should put a dab of oil on the nose of each bullet while loading the mags, which now seems to be something to consider, at least to use up this ammo.

I use the standard 1911 16# recoil spring, with a tungsten guide rod in the gun. My lube regimen is on the rails, a bit on the barrel, including the locking lug.

Has anyone used the Zero brand 147 grain bullets, at least those that have a small amount of the inside edge of the hollow point exposed?

A lighter spring does help speed up the action of the gun and reduces muzzle rise but, too light and the slide doesn't close. It is a curious set of trade-offs. I experimented with a 14 and 12# spring. The result was fun, you could shoot some amazing splits, up until the pistol stopped short of going into battery.

Running XD's in Production.

The XD Tactical will have reliability with a 16# in 9mm and 18# .40 recoil spring, when you start going lighter the firing pin spring will over power the recoil spring(pull it out of battery). The 9mm slide is lighter than the 40 slide. The XD isn't a 1911 so what works for 1911's doesn't work on the XD's. Trying to run on the edge with light springs and power factor will result in failure when you can't afford it(during a match). Work up a load to run with an 16-18# spring for 9mm and 40 and you will have the most reliability that you possibly can. 9mm-130 to 135+ PF, .40- 135 to 140+ PF with these power factors and 16-18# springs you will be good to go. I've seen and have tried just about everything you can think of in the past 6+ years to get that perceived edge. The edge is YOU when your gun runs 100%.

Rich

I had a Service model that didn't like the big ol' hole in the hollowpoints of the Berry 180grn or the Rainier 200grn hp and it did the same thing. Hung up on the gap between the barrel ramp and the monoblock. I got a new drop in barrel from Pistol Gear (it's a Storm Lake barrel really but says Pistol Gear on it) and that solved the problem. It's a bit more accurate too but has a tighter chamber on it so you gotta chamber check all the rounds... but still, it worked!

Now I have the old barrel in one hand, and a bench full of tools ready to the other hand and thoughts about pushing back the center of the feed ramp on the old barrel to see if that might make it more amenable to those hollowpoint bullets. I look at my XDm40 and it seems to be a bit more rounded profile in the center and it feeds everything, so I might try to duplicate that contour to see if that helps. What the heck, I already have the other barrel installed anyway so what do I have to lose if it's a bust!

I think you just shoot too fast and outrun the mag spring. B) Replace the mag springs with extra power springs. Magazine springs are probably weak anyway. I think you are starting to feed the round before it is all the way up to the top of the mag as the slide cycles.

I've had that problem with my Glock and know others who have had the smae problem with their M&P and Sigs. When the mag springs are not getting the bullet up to the top of the mag fast enough....a slick bullet profile is needed to jump the feed ramp as efficiently as possible.

I recommend getting ISMI springs if they make them for the XD mags. I run them in my competition Glock mags after this same problem happened to me 2 years ago.

You might try slowing your splits down to about .14 or .15 too. :P

From Soonerpast

"On another forum, there are reports of trouble getting wadcutters to feed in the XD. Sort of the same situation."

The XD 45 using SWC in most cases will not be able to extract the fire case cleanly. Most people think it's a feed problem, it isn't. What happens is the fired case catches the shoulder of the bullet of the next round in the magazine. This will cause the the empty case not to clear and get caught with the next round being feed or if the case clears the ejection port the point at which the case hit the shoulder of the next round deforms the bullet enough that it can't be chambered.

Rich

"I think you just shoot too fast and outrun the mag spring. "

Yeah, right. But, one thing is right, the event isn't limited to just some magazines. It might happen anytime, I have gotten it to hang up, just manually cycling a magazine of ammo, and then load it up again and it runs smooth.

• 4 weeks later...
From Soonerpast

"On another forum, there are reports of trouble getting wadcutters to feed in the XD. Sort of the same situation."

The XD 45 using SWC in most cases will not be able to extract the fire case cleanly. Most people think it's a feed problem, it isn't. What happens is the fired case catches the shoulder of the bullet of the next round in the magazine. This will cause the the empty case not to clear and get caught with the next round being feed or if the case clears the ejection port the point at which the case hit the shoulder of the next round deforms the bullet enough that it can't be chambered.

Rich

I have never been able to reliably run Atlanta Arms (or any manufactur) 147 grain in my XD. It has always been an issue with rounds hanging up on the feed ramp. As a result I've always run 115 grain and just lived with the increased muzzle flip.

However, lately I have experienced feed problems with the Atlanta Arms 115 grain.

I was on the same squad as Soonerpast yesterday and we discussed the possiblity of weak mag springs. Could feed problems an XD9 be a corrected with a combination of stronger mag springs and the correct recoil spring (16#)?

Oh and in my case it's definately NOT a case of shooting too fast and outrunning the mag spring. :)

• 3 weeks later...

With a little embarassment, I think the problem was magazine springs. I don't shoot the XD much and it does surprise me that the springs in the mags could have become worn as quickly as they did. But, the new springs do position the top round with its nose up higher.