Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super comp questions

badassmcgraff

I just bought 38 super comp brass from Dillon and the package says 38 super comp but when I looked at the back of the brass it says 38 super auto +P. All my other super comp brass says super comp on the back, so before I call Dillon and tell them they sent the wrong one I wanted to make sure it wasn't the same thing. Is it 38 super comp or is it just 38 super? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Brian.

I just bought 38 super comp brass from Dillon and the package says 38 super comp but when I looked at the back of the brass it says 38 super auto +P. All my other super comp brass says super comp on the back, so before I call Dillon and tell them they sent the wrong one I wanted to make sure it wasn't the same thing. Is it 38 super comp or is it just 38 super? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Brian.

Sounds like they sent you standard Super+P brass. I've never seen SC brass that was marked .38 super+P. Was it Starline brand or something else? R,

Regards,

Brian.

Check the rim to be sure. Super will stick out wider then shell side, super-comp will be flush. Need trick to check: Grab a 40 S&W shell and try to insert the rim into the 40.The super rim will not slide into the 40 shell and a super-comp will drop right in. If you have a case gauge for super-comp the supper will sit with the rim raised above the gauge. And when all else fails measure the rim diameter. Super ~0.0406 Super comp ~0.386.

MDA

Use a micrometer on the rim, 38 Super has a semi rim, Super Comp does not. Lay a piece on its' side on a flat surface, if you can see light between the case and the flat surface near the rim, it's 38 Super +P, if not, it may be Super Comp.

Just as an FYI for some of the folks that already posted. Starline Supercomp does have a little bit of semi-rim left. It's definitely not flush with the case wall like 9mm would be. I measured some a couple of months ago and going off memory it was something like .005-.007" per side. Not much, but you'll see daylight if you lay one on a flat surface. When I get my stuff unloaded I'll try to check a couple. R,

Just as an FYI for some of the folks that already posted. Starline Supercomp does have a little bit of semi-rim left. It's definitely not flush with the case wall like 9mm would be. I measured some a couple of months ago and going off memory it was something like .005-.007" per side. Not much, but you'll see daylight if you lay one on a flat surface. When I get my stuff unloaded I'll try to check a couple. R,

You may very well have a bad batch. I've measured several different batches (presumably different lots, given the timeframes they were bought in), and in every case, the rim diameter and the case diameter just above the extractor groove are either the same, or within 1 thousandth of an inch. ;) Same goes for TJ, and for Armscor rimless for that matter (though I've only measured one batch of each of those two...)

Now... over time, as you load and resize, that might change - the measurement is only valid on brand new, unsized cases... ;)

• 1 year later...

I got some Hornady TJ it looked like Wolf steel cases. I also have some LAPUA that I don't think says Comp on it. All the Starline is stamped Comp..

Back to XRE's comment, if it actually had no rim you could put it into a drop check backwards, mine must be worn some since I can't do that, I'll have to throw another shim in the casepro.

You may very well have a bad batch. I've measured several different batches (presumably different lots, given the timeframes they were bought in), and in every case, the rim diameter and the case diameter just above the extractor groove are either the same, or within 1 thousandth of an inch. ;) Same goes for TJ, and for Armscor rimless for that matter (though I've only measured one batch of each of those two...)

Now... over time, as you load and resize, that might change - the measurement is only valid on brand new, unsized cases... ;)

I was wrong above (was too late to edit it), they're running right around .003 per side (four different current batches). The number above was the total difference measuring above the extractor groove and on the rim. R,

where can I get some 38 supercomp brass ????? I have check all the places that I am aware off... Thanks

Midway shows 100ct packages of both brass and nickel in stock as does Graf and Sons. R,

Edit to add: Dillon shows it in stock, but you're better off calling as they don't always seem to keep up on that.

Edited by G-ManBart