Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dave Sevigny 2009 USPSA Area 1 & 5

Flexmoney

During the actual match video, on the times when we had a side view and could see, he did at least glance at the gun during the reloads.

I bet "He only needs to see what he needs to see to get a good reload".

I really enjoy watching how precise he is and his consistency is outstanding.

At this years A5 my son and I worked Drazy Crazy (last stg of the video) with Kyle. On 6 of the 9 targets, my son used a single paster to cover both of Dave's shots... now watch the video again with that in mind. :surprise:

At this years A5 my son and I worked Drazy Crazy (last stg of the video) with Kyle. On 6 of the 9 targets, my son used a single paster to cover both of Dave's shots... now watch the video again with that in mind. :surprise:

Corey,

That is key. I've run him a few times. On targets that many would call "hosers"...Dave is punching snake-eyes in the middle of the Alpha zone.

Pretty cool. (those other 3 of 9 targets were the movers, I believe?)

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni5QrKXonhc...feature=related

Some good lessons in there.

Does Dave intentionally shoot 2 when he draws to a popper with paper afterwards? At 1:00 in the vid Flex posted, he appears to do so. Also, at 1:24 in this video he appears to draw to the popper and intentionally shoot two on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkw9y7nijWg...feature=related

Is he starting his rhythm for 2 shots on the following paper targets, or trying to get the popper to drop faster, or some other reason? Thoughts? Thanks.

-br

Dave appears to have complete awareness of where he is, what he's doing while he's there and where he's going next. Plus, on draws he has his hand on the gun by the time the timer completes its beep. Amazing shooting!

Does Dave intentionally shoot 2 when he draws to a popper with paper afterwards? At 1:00 in the vid Flex posted, he appears to do so. Also, at 1:24 in this video he appears to draw to the popper and intentionally shoot two on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkw9y7nijWg...feature=related

Is he starting his rhythm for 2 shots on the following paper targets, or trying to get the popper to drop faster, or some other reason? Thoughts? Thanks.

-br

If he has the bullets to do so I would say he is trying to drive the popper down to activate something sooner. I do it when I'm shooter rear falling poppers and need to get something activated and shot in a hurry.

I may be wrong but it appears that he varies the amount of arm extension. When shooting stationery it seems the arms are almost fully locked out and when shooting on the move there is more bend in the elbow. I've found myself doing something similar lately. I didn't realise I was doing it until I saw some photos of me shooting, it does reduce the muzzle-flip if the arms are extended more but it seems better to bring the gun closer for the movement parts of the stage.

-br

I don't mean to speak for Dave in any way, shape, or form...but...

Heeeeeck no on the "rhythm" thinking. While it may appear that top shooters are shooting with a rhythm or cadence...vision is needed to guide each shot to get the speed and accuracy.

On activating steel, it takes about a second for the activator to fall after being hit. It takes less than half that time for most top shooters to transition over to the moving target. Doubling the activator target can speed it up a bit. Plus...at minor power factor...doubling can ensure the popper gets knocked over.

Third stage, starting on the large popper that activated the next target... He double-tapped the steel.

How many of you shooting production double-tap large poppers to make SURE they go down? (OOPS... Just read the last post!)

Damn he's smooth and fast...

JeffWard

Edited by JeffWard

Corey,

That is key. I've run him a few times. On targets that many would call "hosers"...Dave is punching snake-eyes in the middle of the Alpha zone.

Pretty cool. (those other 3 of 9 targets were the movers, I believe?)

Yup, all one hole but the three that flipped. Conner was "wow, dad you gotta see this" when he came back to get me/show me the targets!

And to add a mention about double taps on poppers - during the training we had this spring with Bob Vogel, depending on how the stg was laid out, Bob would fire 2-3 and once 4 shots on the popper to drive it down; generally this was done when the popper activated a swinger etc.