Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building the "box"

leam

I want to build a box to measure handguns. The rules say 8 15/16" x 6" 1 5/8" (tolerance +1/16", -0") Is the tolerance for all three dimensions, and when you build a box to you just build it 1/16" larger? Or do you assume the give in the wood accounts for the 1/16"?

Thanks!

Leam

Leam,

I can measure the Official USPSA Box I have at home this evening and post the dimensions.

Alan

You threw me there, Alan.

Is the box "official" or are the dimensions "official"?

I know you have one of the boxes, as issued. I'm just not sure where the rules are?

Like with the mag length. We had the measurements at first, then we went (with the rules) to the "official gauge".

OK...I just went and looked. I see the dimensions listed in the Single-stack division appendix in the rule book. I don't see anything in the NROI Rulings to offset that. So, the box...whoever makes it...would need to meet the requirements in the rule book, it would seem?

Measure that box, Alan! I'm curious.

For starting a club I'd buy a box, but for my own plans I'd rather just bulid one. Buying means $$, of which I'm particularly short. :(

In this case it's more a reference for me than actual rules enforcer.

Thanks!

Leam

What makes it "official"?

The fact that USPSA has declared that measurements taken with the box at a match may be considered definitive.

Use of any other box would put the match in a position of having the match director and/or arb committee measure the box used to determine if it had the correct dimensions.

Interesting with the tolerances - what they mean is that a box oversized by an amount less to or equal to the tolerance amount is acceptable. Of course, if the USPSA box happens to be 1/16" over, people will start building guns to take advantage of it ... which will be fine unless a future run of boxes is exactly on size.

USPSA Box measures 6" x 8 15/16 x 1 5/8

Made out steel

Thanks Alan! I'll shoot for making mine exactly on then. For what I want having the 1/16" leeway would be nice but I'd rather not expect it.

Leam

Edited by leam

What makes it "official"?

The fact that USPSA has declared that measurements taken with the box at a match may be considered definitive.

When and where can I find that? I must have missed it.

Use of any other box would put the match in a position of having the match director and/or arb committee measure the box used to determine if it had the correct dimensions.

Rob,

You don't have anything in the rule book or on the NROI Rulings that says that box is "official". (that I have found?)

The box sold by USPSA is just like any other box, from what I read? It is subject to verification to meet the measurements provided by the rule book.

(Unlike the mag gauge...which is "official".)