Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3n38 Load Data, Got Any Good Ones?

TMC

Looking for 3N38 loads with 124/125's. Maass' site isn't working for Super info for the last few days, I can get .40 and 9x21 pages to open but not Super. Or if you have downloaded the info would you email it to me? Thanks

Flexmoney, your right its my Adobe version causing problems. I have a company license 4.0 version that has to stay for company reasons.

Got a newer reader on the laptop, and that worked.

My Super chronos the same velocity for equal weights of Vectan SP2 and 3n38. With 115gr Federal bullets, that's almost 10 grains. I have 2 TJ ports, 5.5inch bbl.

With 124s, yes, try between 9 and 9.3 grains. Shouldn't need more than that unless you have a LOT of hybrid ports.

Equal wts of SP2 and 3n38 are NOT equal volumes. The 3n38 takes up a lot more of the case. Takes a lot more out of your wallet too. ;)

TMC, I agree with shred and Flex. I'm using it with MG 121 bullets, and new Starline cases, and I had to get into the double digits for a healthy Major, sans parts or blowholes.

It seems Jeff made his latest Super PDF incompatible with older versions of Acrobat and/or Reader. Jeff, if you are reading this, please re-distill with the Distiller option checked for backward-compatibility.

Edited by Erik Warren

Thanks for the info folks, I found a few 124 loaded over 9.1grns. I'll try those over the chrono tomorrow and see how they go. I think it's 3N38, might be 3N37. I hate working up new loads, I had a good 4756 load I was using for a few years but since adding the TJ holes its not working as well. The thing shoots flatter but barely makes major. How about 165.1 on the second set of 3 at the match chrono, too close for me. Plus I have 5 lbs of 3N38 and only about 1/2 pound of 4756 left.

The gun is a 5" with 2 TJ holes and a Dawson #2 cone comp.

25345058-d35c-02000182-.jpg

What do you guys do with all the small quantities of powder you bought to experiment with? I've got 1/2-3/4 lbs of about 10 different powders I don't think I'll ever use again, 7625, 3n37, 800x, unique, WAP, AA#2, WST and others. How about mixing them all together and shooting a tracer through it? BOOM or fizzel?

I just shot a tighter 40 yard group with them compared to a 115 JHP group. (Powder was N350.) Shot a bunch of each back-to-back and I don't really have a preference. Sometimes I think the load is flat and straight, sometimes I think the load is flippy and loopy. I still haven't got that consistent neutral grip thing down. I'm going to shoot the 121 over 3N38 for a while, including at Area 2.

Thanks for the info folks, I found a few 124 loaded over 9.1grns.  I'll try those over the chrono tomorrow and see how they go.  I think it's 3N38, might be 3N37.

Whoa! Make sure what it is before you load it! 3N38 is very different from 3N37.

I really like the accuracy of the Hornady 121's, but they seem to need more powder than would be expected over a MG 124.

shred, thanks for the concerns but the rounds are already loaded. It's a bag of about 25 rounds that I marked 124, 9.1 and the 3n3_ is wearing off. Its ammo I loaded about 6 months ago trying to make major in a tribrid gun I have. I would never load with unmarked or myster powder.

There have been some reports of problems reading the IPSC Loads Lists from my web site.

I recently upgraded from Adobe Acrobat 5 to version 6. With that came a backwards compatibility problem for those using Adobe Reader or Acrobat versions 4 or earlier. My documents won't be the only one: if you have an old Adobe Reader or plug-in, you should seriously consider upgrading (free) to a newer version at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.

There is a compatibility setting that allows generating new documents compatible with Adobe version 4, and I've re-generated the .38 Super and .40S&W IPSC Loads Lists to be so compatible. Hopefully this will solve viewing problems for some.

I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone to grab the IPSC Loads Lists only from my web site at Maass' IPSC Resources.

Over the years, other folks have, either at my request or on their own, hosted copies of the IPSC Loads Lists on other web sites. Once I established my own web page to allow people to download the Lists, there was no longer any reason to have multiple sources! The only guarenteeed current versions are on my site.

Some of the very out-of-date lists (some as old as 1998) I found with Google:

http://ww2.whidbey.net/deadeye/Maass_40S&W.htm

http://ctgrenoblois.free.fr/Download/Data38sup.pdf

http://www.gunmuse.com/manuals/Reloading/IPSC40SWLoads.pdf

If you are the webmaster of any of these sites, please remove the old lists!

Everyone is welcome to link to the IPSC Loads List page on their web page. Because the exact page URL may change, I'd prefer the links go to Maass' IPSC Resources page at http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/index.html.

I really like the accuracy of the Hornady 121's, but they seem to need more powder than would be expected over a MG 124.

Well with my gun i notice a 1.0 or so grain difference between the 115gr and 124g bullets using n350. So wouldent you figgure that a 121g would use .5g more than a 124

I shot my first significant practice session with full-power 3N38 loads today and I felt my face getting gas-blasted. I'm shooting the same, 5.5" bbl 5-chamber comp gun. Why can I suddenly feel comp blast in the face? (I wasn't anywhere near a wall of any kind.) Can 3N38 be making that much more gas volume than 3N37 or N350? I also felt something on my right hand, like ejecting brass dribbling out of the ejection port, but the brass was getting thrown, so I think I felt gas blast out of there. Huh? :huh:

Erik, I ran about 150 3N38 loads though my gun and while I didn't feel any difference on my face I did notice allot more fallout on my C-more. I think its dirtier and maybe that's what you feel, larger particles.

Any you went and put the scary face back on your avitar.

3n38 throws more gas, throws more particles, and moves more air. A lot more air. Once you get a load that's reliable & accurate and 170-175PF, you will love this powder.

I went back to SP2 because they're so similar, except for this: 3n38 is $24/lb. SP2 is $14/lb.

Just shot my first match with 3N38 under 121 bullets. Never felt the gas in the face or anything on my hand. I wiped off soot from the C-More lens between stages; seemed like the first stage was the worst. (It was a clean gun and lens.) No worse than N350, except that first stage.

Never noticed any flame or flash on a mostly cloudy, grey day. (At least one other person was doing the N350 yellow flamethrower thing.)

It's a little softer than N350 under the same bullet.