Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Choices

TKHover

I've been using Unique for 9mm, .38 spl, & .357 mag. I also use V340 for .45acp. I've been happy with the results for all of these. However, because Unique is so inconsistent in metering and the VihtaVuori meters so nicely, I'm thinking os switching to VihtaVuori for all my reloading. I wrote to VihtaVuori and asked them for recommendations on which powders I should try for each caliber and they responded that I could use 340 for all. I had been thinking of something like 320 or 330 for the others and stay with 340 for the .45acp. Any suggestions from those of you who have used VihtaVuori would be appreciated. The bullets I'm using are: 9mm-Montana Gold 124 gr. JHP, .38spl.-Hornady 148 gr. HBWC, .357mag-Remington 158 gr. JSP. My .45acp bullet is Montana Gold 230 gr. FMJ. Thanks

Tom

I have loaded 320 in all the calibers you list, except .38. In .357, I got better accuracy with slower burning powders and heavy loads, in other words .357 "lite" with 320 didn't work for me. With the .45, 320 works just fine, my personal opinion is that 310 is better, even for major loads. I like 320 in the 9mm.

320 is a very good all around powder for "average" pistol loads. There might be things that other powders do better in cartridges, but for loading to "game" specs 320 is a good choice in, 9mm, 40, or 45.

I've been running N340 with a 158 grain bullet for medium powered .38 special loads and I've been getting incredible accuracy out of a 2" J Frame. Much more accurate than my factory 158 grain Federal "FBI Loads".

There was a simular thread on Matt Burkett's forum. If you'd like to a great temp stable, soft shooting, no smoke/clean buring 9mm/38 powder you can't go wrong with TightGroup at $90 or less in 8 pounders. I've been using it since the first of the year and I've been very happy with it. You'd really appriciate TightGroup after Unique :D

Steve