Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Shoot With Two Eyes Open Using Iron Sights

BrazilianShooter

As our host suggested in his book, you might want to try to tape with transparent tape your glasses on your non-dominant eye, to shoot with both eyes open without seeing two different front sights and loosing time to focus on the correct one.

Hi,

A few months ago I started using both eyes myself (I shoot IPSC PD with A G17).

In the beginning it was very difficult and my shots tended to end up left on the targets (or even off the targets). I dry-pratciced a lot at home using self-made scaled down IPSC targets and I practiced a lot of slow target shooting at the range. First at 10 meters, and when that all went fine I increased the distances up to 25 meters. It took me a few weeks to master two-eyed shooting. Now I can shoot at any distance using bot eyes, but I feel that for targets at 30 meter and beyond a one-eyed sight picture works better. At those distances you don't really need to use both eyes anyhow, because there you need far more accuracy than speed. Just take your time practicing. Really take your time. Take as long as you need for every shot to get it right. Once you've mastered that the speed will come back rapidly. Good luck training !

vluc, You are fortunate. 5 years and counting...

Funny, when I think about it, it doesn't work, but whn I relax and just shoot, there it is. Long range shots require a touch more concentration. When I find myself slipping, i slap it on the glass, dry fire, and it comes back.

S!

Luiz Cesar, I was post something about this in ours forum " www.tirodinamico.com.br " give one look! in portuguese, of course

DVC

Thanks Luzimar, i will look at our Brazilian Shooting Forum and search it.

I try to use the tape in my glasses and, it´s strange, but i´ll keep training.

Thanks you all for the tips.

Hi!!

I realy want to thanks for the tip, it works, I was doing dry fire in my home last night and put a tape in my glasses, in beginning was dificult i insist in close my non-dominant eye, but after few minutes of practice i keep my two eyes open.

i will try to do it in a range next weekend, and i hope it works.

I really sorry for my bad English!!! :(

Try a small target, or a target at long range. Transition the gun to the target with a target focus. As the blurry front sight enters your vision focus on it. That's how I discovered shooting with both eyes open. For whatever reason I found it much easier to do at longer range, but practicing there made it possible to move in closer, until I could do it at all ranges. Contrary to what others posted, my groups improved. Finally, don't forget to get some weak hand practice in - that really threw me for a loop first time I shot weak hand with both eyes open. (At a match, of course!)

GsT

To GsT:

on training I have one or two classic IPSC targets and some gongs or pepper popers on 20 - 25 m, very often I have A, C or double C.

Thank for your help.

But I listened that in JAR on WS, there were targets on 50 m, is it right?

• 3 weeks later...

..Switched from dominant eye shooting (because I kept getting re-infected with a flinch and it really was a strain) to 2 eyes and my shooting took a lurch.. I just slowed down due to trying to decide which was the correct sight alignment. Stuck with it however and today I am a better shooter for it. I see so much more it is amazing.

Glad I did.. :D

Paladin..