Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Peening Slide Rails

eric nielsen

I tried a guy's Glock a week ago: he had tightened the slide-to-frame fit to almost no rattle at all. I liked it, the result was a very consistent trigger pull.

You can simulate this by pushing down on your slide with your weakhand thumb as you dryfire the gun. Now the trigger parts do not have to yank down your slide in order to release the striker forward.

This shooter said he had done this by gradually hitting the steel rail inserts in the frame of the gun, which is the way that makes the most sense to me. Elsewhere I've read of people marking the slide in four spots and hammering on the slide of the Glock instead.

Which is the best way? I really don't want to crack any part but I fear messing up the slide a lot more. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I've seen the Dale Rhea article and that way scares me. I wonder how CGR and JP do theirs.

Tapping on the frame rails would scare me far more. The slide is surface hardened, but a few thou below that - it's just regular metal. The rails are probably surface hardened as well, but just by virtue of the thickness much more of it's total thickness is hardened than with the slide.

i.e. Banging on the frame rails sounds like a good way to crack one (or start a crack) and end up buying a new frame.

My 2 pesetas...

• 3 weeks later...

Here's how I tightened one of my G17s up. Mike rear frame rails. Add a little for clearance, say 0.002". Find a hex key or some other steel part (I used a file) of appropriate thickness. Mark where slide and rear frame rails interface when in battery. Remove slide and insert hex key or other part identified above. Peen with a ball peen hammer. You'll have to hit it like you mean it. When hex key is tight, pry out and do other side.

Results will be lighter trigger pull, and some increase in accuracy (although hard to quantify).

It's not hard as long as you don't have a personal attachment to the slide and watch your fingers.

Jim Taylor