Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meeting minor PF w/Solo 1000

atbarr

Hello people, I just received my 550 and need some advice.

I will be using range brass. I do have a EGW U sizing die in the first stage. I need to make minor PF of 125. I have a Chronograph and will check after I see my guns like the rounds.

I will be shooting a STI 9mm 5" barrel, and a M&P 9mm FS (4 1/4").

I thought I'd start with an OL of 1.015. Does that sound right?

From what I've read here, the loads below should reach minor.

Zero 147 gr 3.3 gr of Solo 1000

MG 124 gr 3.8 gr of Solo 1000

Should I drop back a couple of grains, and build up?

One last question, after I get the 9mm figured out, I want to load .38 sp. for my wife for target practice. She will not be shooting competition, so what would be a nice "easy" load using ZERO .357 125 JHP. One has a 4" barrel and the other has a 2 1/8" barrel. I'd like to stay with Solo 1000 if possible.

Many thanks,

A.T.

P.S. I'll be using Win small pistol magnum primers.

Edited by atbarr

3.3 might get you there with a moly 147, but I don't think it is going to cut it with jacketed. It would probably be a good starting load but I think you'll be bumping it significantly.

ETA: 1.015 seems pretty short to me from what I have read. I am at 1.14 with my Glock...

Edited by Jay870

5" M&P

147gr Zero or MG

1.125" OAL

3.8gr of Solo 1000

Fed Match SP Primer

Not chronoed yet, but feels just like my chronoed load of 3.2gr of TiteGroup or Bullseye, whih was around 130 PF.

Jeff

1.015 is too short (unless it's a typo and you meant 1.150). I load my 9mm to 1.160 and it feeds fine in my S_I (Kart barrel) and both of my M&Ps (4.25" and 5" Pro).

AT I load to 1.150 and it feeds better in my 1911 9mm and still fits in my XDM's mag. I don't know about SOLO but if you have any titegroup 4.0-4.1 should do it. Also, be carefull with those magnum primers in minor especially in the 147 loads as you might not have enough pressure to seal the primer and get blow back....just what I have heard, not experienced.

1.015 is too short (unless it's a typo and you meant 1.150). I load my 9mm to 1.160 and it feeds fine in my S_I (Kart barrel) and both of my M&Ps (4.25" and 5" Pro).

Yep, ya caught me. :roflol: it's 1.150.

Thanks,

A.T.

AT I load to 1.150 and it feeds better in my 1911 9mm and still fits in my XDM's mag. I don't know about SOLO but if you have any titegroup 4.0-4.1 should do it. Also, be carefull with those magnum primers in minor especially in the 147 loads as you might not have enough pressure to seal the primer and get blow back....just what I have heard, not experienced.

Hello Corey, I have a lot of mag primers and a lot of Solo 1000. I do have some MG 124 I can use, if I get any blow back.

Thanks,

A.T.

3.5g of Solo1000 gets me 130 through a Glock 34. Given that you have a shorter/slower barrel in both guns, I think you'll wind up somewhere around the 3.503.6gr area to make power factor.

I typically load to 1.130 simply because my Glock likes Precision Delta 147s at that length, but I've loaded it to 1.150 with no noticable change in velocity as well.