Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 19 set-up

Rye

I need a few advice on setting up my Glock 19.

1. How good is the LWB 3.5 connector?

2. Should I use sprinco guide rod, or LWB tungsten or S/S guide rod?

3. If i ever want to replace the barrel which one would you recommend, KKM or LWB?

4. What advisable recoil spring weight should I use, I know the factory comes in 18lbs?

Thanks guys... Hope to get a response from you all.

I wouldn't do any of that stuff. Maybe some good sights. Other than that shoot is as you got it. Then if you want to get competitive, take all the money you were going to throw at parts and use it to buy a Glock 34.

Edited by badchad

I wouldn't do any of that stuff. Maybe some good sights. Other than that shoot is as you got it. Then if you want to get competitive, take all the money you were going to throw at parts and use it to buy a Glock 34.

Im just going to use it for carry. What would be a good sight to use. I actually want a f/o front sight and adjustable rear.

My carry G23 has Trijicon night sights that I am happy with. For adjustable fiber optics, Dawson Precision seems to be the sights of choice around here. Personally I don't think point of impact changes are enough with these guns to need adjustable sights. Also though I have fiber optics on my competition guns I like the night sights for carry.

The LW 3.5# connector is excellent, I have 'em on four of my Glocks, but probably the only one of the mods you're discussing that I would consider, except if I was building a competition gun.

Curtis

Im just going to use it for carry. What would be a good sight to use. I actually want a f/o front sight and adjustable rear.

For a carry gun I'd absolutely stick with a factory guide rod...no question there.

My carry guns all have Trijicon sights on them that I'm pretty happy with for their intended use....I can't really change them, but I wouldn't even if I could.

You may want to consider a set of the Tru Glo sights. They're both FO and tritium night sights at the same time so they glow regardless of the conditions. I prefer fixed sights on a carry gun because I've seen quality rear sights break while shooting and it's just one less thing to go wrong. While it's a major pain if it happens in a match, it's a really bad thing if it happens in a fight. I can't tell you the weird ways I've managed to smack the heck out of my carry guns...it happens, but shouldn't hurt a fixed sight. You shouldn't have a problem finding a good carry load that will hit to point of aim since they're available in a wide range of weights.

I think you'd be happy with the LW 3.5lb connector. It's a little light for a carry gun, but not crazy. R,

Yep they are leading you the correct way, shoot it and if you are wanting to get competitive get a 34.

For carry I'd go with fresh night sites and stock internals. I've used a G19 in Limited and Production for years without a single hiccup. They're as reliable as a hammer right out of the box.

Simple ones first, a Serpa holster is well made and the lock is easy to activate but keeps the gun in the holster otherwise.

If it's a carry gun, just get some snap caps and work the hell out of the trigger, that'll loosen it up. Other than that, leave it alone.

Night sights are severely overrated. I've been through night fire courses and they are really only of use at twilight. When it's dark you can't see what you are shooting at without a flashlight and then the light defeats them. Check out the Dawson-Heinie combo at CPWSA. Works as well as anything I have shot.

What would be a good conceal holster for it? For sight I heard a lot of people are using tritium sight

I've had the usual collection of leather belt slide holsters, fabric IWB holsters and nylon small of the back holsters. I've settled on a cheapie Fobus paddle holster. Yes, they'll come apart if someone tries to snatch your gun, but if I'm carrying concealed, nobody's supposed to know I have it in the first place.

YMMV, of course

Other than a pair of sights I would just shoot as is. You might want to try Sevigny competition sights which have a FO front. If you ever decide to shoot in competition a glock 34 might be the way to go.

I shipped my slide to Chris Patty of CPWSA and he installed and sent back to me same day he received them. Great guy by the way.

Night sights are severely overrated. I've been through night fire courses and they are really only of use at twilight. When it's dark you can't see what you are shooting at without a flashlight and then the light defeats them.

No offense, but they must have missed a bunch during those night courses if you feel that way. There's a long list of times when they work 100% better than plain sights and pretty much no situations where they work significantly worse. Okay, I don't like them for shooting bullseye targets :P

Most of us spend a lot of time in/around our car and just that one area provides a laundry list of times when night sights are very helpful. Say you're walking to your car in a parking lot at night and it's dark but there are overhead lights, or it's parked on a street with street lights or it's a parking garage. You would be able to see the bad guy in each of those scenarios, but not your sights, unless they're night sights. Maybe you're driving at night and somebody tries to carjack you....the headlights from your car will will put off enough light to see a bad guy even though he's not in front of the lights, but you won't be able to see the sights clearly....unless they're night sights.

For home use lots of people keep a light mounted on their gun rather than try to use a flashlight. I keep a Surefire X300 (awesome light!) on mine at night. The light only lights up the bad guy, not the gun/sights so the night inserts help a lot there as well. R,

My G19 is set up with a wolff steel recoil rod and a wolff 15 lb. spring sized for 19/23/32; a 3.5# connector; Sevigny sights, plain rear/tritium front; an extended mag release that I softened up with an emery board; and portions of EW's tru-grip tape that I cut down to provide only necessary coverage. Runs great, 100% reliable, accurate, easy to shoot, etc...

By far my favorite ccw holster is the Comptac C-TAC. Cheers.

-br

Edited by joker22

Night sights are severely overrated. I've been through night fire courses and they are really only of use at twilight. When it's dark you can't see what you are shooting at without a flashlight and then the light defeats them. Check out the Dawson-Heinie combo at CPWSA. Works as well as anything I have shot.

You're right --- but unless you live out in the country, you spend a lot more time in twilight conditions than you might think.....

The light tends to defeat night sights inside lightcolored rooms --- as enough light bounces back from the walls or ceiling. (The same thing occurs with targets on a range -- esp. close targets.) Get into larger or darker spaces, and night sights remain visible --- at least in my experience....

My G19 is set up with a wolff steel recoil rod and a wolff 15 lb. spring sized for 19/23/32; a 3.5# connector; Sevigny sights, plain rear/tritium front; an extended mag release that I softened up with an emery board; and portions of EW's tru-grip tape that I cut down to provide only necessary coverage. Runs great, 100% reliable, accurate, easy to shoot, etc...

By far my favorite ccw holster is the Comptac C-TAC. Cheers.

-br

I like your set up BR. I was kinda looking toward that route as well.

• 2 weeks later...

My G19 has the Trijicon OEM sights, a G17 smooth trigger/triggerbar, and a Glock extended slide release-and that's it. I find that with the Trijicons, and with how well I index to the G19 that I shoot it as quickly as my G34 with Warren sights (at least so far-the G34 is still relatively new).

Rather than going the 3.5 connector route, you're better off simply practicing/competing/training with the gun-in 500-1000 rounds, you'll have about the same triggerpull (especially if you lubricate the connector/triggerbar interface points with TW25B). Due to the shorter reset of the 3.5 connector, the only way that I'd suggest carrying a gun with a 3.5 connector would be with a NY1 triggerspring (which gives your a crisper, more discernable reset anyhow, and only raises the triggerpull weight to about 6 to 6.5 lbs.

For holsters, I prefer either Blade-Tech (particularly their IWB offerings; for OWB, either the Glock Sport/Combat or a DeSantis Speed Scabbard.

For belt, either 5.11 leather (a superb inexpensive belt) or a Wilderness 5-stitch Instructor, Frequent Flyer, or Ring belts are my preferences/suggestions.

Best, Jon

Edited by JonInWA