Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags for Nationals

Jeff686

I've been checking an cleaning my magazines this week for our sectional championship. I also want to be sure they are all functional and tip-top for the nationals. However, I'm starting to wonder if I should upgrad them a little.

I'm shooting Open, 38 super, Tanfoglio. I have:

1 big stick (28 rounds)

1 standard + x-base pad (23 rounds)

2 standard + stock base pad (18-19 rounds)

1 barny mag (10 rounds)

Now, I assume that four mags (+ barney) is enough. However, should I upgrade two more of them to 23 rounds?

I have a similar setup but a couple of extra 20 rounders. If it were me I'd add another 23 round magazine, that way you have a spare. Four usable magazines doesn't allow much leeway if one gets damaged.

I guess I am mag rich...

personally I like to have 2 big sticks just in case time get short and i cant clean one between stages. and I have 4 - 24 rounders.... But honestly you will be fine with what you have. I just prefer 24 rounders to stock

leo

I have a similar setup but a couple of extra 20 rounders. If it were me I'd add another 23 round magazine, that way you have a spare. Four usable magazines doesn't allow much leeway if one gets damaged.

I guess I am mag rich...

personally I like to have 2 big sticks just in case time get short and i cant clean one between stages. and I have 4 - 24 rounders.... But honestly you will be fine with what you have. I just prefer 24 rounders to stock

leo

Mag cleaning between stages...................hmmmmmm.

Is the Vegas Nationals range any worse than "normal" on mags?

Grit, fine sand, talc like sand??

BB

Murphy will come to big matches! If you have only one of something important, Mr Murphy will know ;)

As for cleaning between stages. I know of no outdoor range in the Southwest where I would not clean a mag that has hit the ground. Everyplace out here is some sort of desert and thusly some sort of grit. Murphy loves grit!

Later,

Chuck

Thanks guys. Since money is tight, I decided only to upgrade a couple of the base pads to 23rnd. I'd love to have a couple of those no-rib 24 round chromed mags that henning sells, but just gotta watch where I spend the cash. With a max of 32rnds/stage, I may be gambling on my big stick a little, but should have plenty of 23rnd mags...

Edited by Jeff686

Yeah, I would invest in another big stick as funds allow. I bring 2 big sticks with me, and 4 24 rounders and I'd like to get a 3rd big stick.

I've had to do a stage back to back that having a nice clean big stick ready to go has really helped me.

I'd vote for an extra big stick if you can swing it. It's common to be last on one stage and first on the next and if your big stick needs to be cleaned and refilled it's time you don't get to spend on your walkthrough. Further, there are times when you may want to start with a big stick and reload to a big stick just in case. Imagine shooting 18 shots with some steel mixed in, reload and go to a position with 14 shots and a Texas star...nice to have the insurance rounds. R,

I'm like most, 2 big sticks minimum for various reasons but mostly just in case one goes South. I rely and am used to shooting with the big stick even if it's a 20 round "easy" stage. My reload mags hold 24 and I'll have 4 of those ready.

Thanks guys. Since money is tight, I decided only to upgrade a couple of the base pads to 23rnd. I'd love to have a couple of those no-rib 24 round chromed mags that henning sells, but just gotta watch where I spend the cash. With a max of 32rnds/stage, I may be gambling on my big stick a little, but should have plenty of 23rnd mags...

Just make sure you get some rounds through them once you upgrade. Nationals is the last place you want to figure out if something is working is not.

Good Luck at nationals

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40