Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt 10 Rd. Mags?

bigsaxdog

some guy on ebay has some good prices on some colt 10 rd. mags, less than $10 apiece. anybody have any of these? i've never seen any around where i shoot, so... are they as good as wilsons or mccormicks? just built a longslide for L-10, and i wanna try some 10 rd. mags., even if they do look dorky hangin' out of the gun. i guess the gamer in me is startin' to take over, so.......

bigsaxdog,

As tempting as the price may be there’re few things more frustrating, and avoidable, than dealing with mags that don’t work. If you don’t have a lot of money to spend go to CDNNinvestments and buy some McCormick’s for $14.99 or even the Mitchell’s which is EXACTLY the same as the McCormick’s, except the name and price… $12.99. I bought Mitchell’s and “tinkered” with them a little and, with my gun, they work 100%. If you go that route let me know and I’ll tell you what you need to do with them. Of course you could avoid the whole issue by stepping up and buying first line mags to begin with. ;)

I GUARANTEE the others here will be along soon with their “this is the ONLY mag to buy” thoughts! :rolleyes:

Ed

damn, you're fast.......i got 7 wilson 8 rounders that i been using for a couple of years, still run perfect with the original springs and followers. finally just broke down and bought new springs and followers, can't help it, i'm a cheap shooter. just built a caspian longslide, so i figured i'm gonna be the new L-10 god, and i better get some 10 rd. mags. saw these on ebay, just never heard of them. i probably know better, just bite the bullet(i had to say that!), and buy some wilsons. it's just that ebay can be so addicting.......

In my experience it's hard to beat CMC Power Mags. I've also had excellent results from the plain old Shooting Stars, which don't always get the best reviews when 8 round mags are mentioned.

I bought a couple of the CDNN Mitchell mags and they aren't close to being "exactly" the same as CMC mags. The base plate is non-removable and the base pad is just sort of wrapped around 3 sides of the mag. The feed lips and followers look the same, but that's about it. Both of mine function perfectly, but I can't generate enough trust to use them in a match. They just look too cheesy.

Perhaps there are 2 kinds of Mitchell mags, although mine were advertised as being the same as CMC mags.

Midway usually has Power 10 mags on sale for 14.99 and you don't have to pay the overly high 9.99 shipping cost from CDNN.

My experience with Wilson .38 Super mags has soured me on that brand, so I haven't paid double the price of CMC mags to try them out.

I bought a couple of the CDNN Mitchell mags and they aren't close to being "exactly" the same as CMC mags. The base plate is non-removable and the base pad is just sort of wrapped around 3 sides of the mag. The feed lips and followers look the same, but that's about it. Both of mine function perfectly, but I can't generate enough trust to use them in a match. They just look too cheesy.

Well, the newer Power Mags don't look like the older 10-rd Power Mags either. The originals look exactly like the Mitchells because the same contractor (bet your money on Metalform) made both with the same tooling. They even have shooting

star logos stamped into the followers.

The latest and greatest power mags have new "boots" that won't interfere with most mag wells. The originals (like the Mitchells) required some filing of the plastic boots to get them to insert all the way.