Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier scores same between divisions?

leam

If I shoot a classifier in SS/Major and get my usual 30-somthing %, would my score be the same if I were classed as Open/Major? That is, are the score values related to Division?

Leam

The only ones that are the same or similar are Limited/L10/SS. A lot of, but not all, L10 HHF are based off of Limited. They based the SS HHF off of L10 until more classifiers are entered.

Not necessarily. Depends on the particular classifier.

Go to the Classifier Calculator and plug in the same hit factor for a given classifier using different divisions.

Two quick tests: CM08-06 and CM99-14, using a HF of 35.0, gave the same results within 0.0001% for Production, Open, Revolver, and SS. Using CM99-14 with a HF or 80 made the difference a little wider, 0.0005% or so. So perhaps at the M/GM level there would be a difference. At my level, not really.

I have half a mind (on a good day) to just start shooting Open with my Single stack. Given that I generally grace the bottom of the competitor list anyway, at least I could get enough scores reported to get classified. I could also fix up my gun however I wanted and wouldn't ahve to worry about what Division I'm in. :)

Leam

Not necessarily. Depends on the particular classifier.

Go to the Classifier Calculator and plug in the same hit factor for a given classifier using different divisions.

Two quick tests: CM08-06 and CM99-14, using a HF of 35.0, gave the same results within 0.0001% for Production, Open, Revolver, and SS. Using CM99-14 with a HF or 80 made the difference a little wider, 0.0005% or so. So perhaps at the M/GM level there would be a difference. At my level, not really.

I have half a mind (on a good day) to just start shooting Open with my Single stack. Given that I generally grace the bottom of the competitor list anyway, at least I could get enough scores reported to get classified. I could also fix up my gun however I wanted and wouldn't ahve to worry about what Division I'm in. :)

Leam

I might be reading this wrong, but how is it possible to get a hit factor of 35 or 80?

I might be reading this wrong, but how is it possible to get a hit factor of 35 or 80?

Easy, have someone new tothe sport make up unmbers to put into the calculator! :)

What would be some better numbers? For my use, I'm a D grade shooter so what might be appropriate entries for that?

Leam

Easy, have someone new tothe sport make up unmbers to put into the calculator! :)

What would be some better numbers? For my use, I'm a D grade shooter so what might be appropriate entries for that?

Leam

Except for fixed time classifiers try a HF of 5.0. There are no HF's lower tham that, at least in open division.

Except for fixed time classifiers try a HF of 5.0. There are no HF's lower tham that, at least in open division.

CM08-06 and CM99-14, using a HF of 5.0, gave the same results within 0.0001% for Production, Open, Revolver, and SS.

I'm open to the concept of "operator error", but not sure how to identify it. My usual classifier scores are in the low-mid 30's which is why I chose 35.0 before. It came up with a percentage of just under 39%.

Leam

CM08-06 and CM99-14, using a HF of 5.0, gave the same results within 0.0001% for Production, Open, Revolver, and SS.

I'm open to the concept of "operator error", but not sure how to identify it. My usual classifier scores are in the low-mid 30's which is why I chose 35.0 before. It came up with a percentage of just under 39%.

Leam

Those are fixed time classifiers, hence 100% will be all the available points in the alotted time. Ex: 100 points available and you get 35ponts, your % will be 35%.

For all non fixed time classifiers use the hit factor and you will get your percentage.

Those are fixed time classifiers, hence 100% will be all the available points in the alotted time. Ex: 100 points available and you get 35ponts, your % will be 35%.

For all non fixed time classifiers use the hit factor and you will get your percentage.

Okay, using some of the classifiers I have on record I'd lose ~5% going from SS to Open. Not that big a deal when you're at the 30% range. :)

Thanks!

Leam

Edited by leam

Okay, using some of the classifiers I have on record I'd lose ~5% going from SS to Open. Not that big a deal when you're at the 30% range. :)

Thanks!

Leam

Leam,

Not to discourage you - do what you want - but I've noticed while classifiers and standards test just those things - competing with a single stack gun in open would be - delicately stated - painful on field courses. If you really want to get some open scores in, by all means - shoot a second classifier and pay the $3.00 or whatever the cost is for submitting an extra classifier. I did that with my production rig - and just reshot for limited minor. I would think, though, that shooting an entire match(s) against the open crowd with 30 rnd sticks, comps, and dots would be less fun.

If your goal is more scores - shoot the match SS - and submit a second classifier run in open, where the club permits it.