Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vv 3n37

tightloop

Was looking over the chrony results from yesterday. Man, I miss 452AA. Shot some 20 yr old loads yesterday, ES 10 fps, SD 5, Clean and soft...doesn't get any better than that.

Trying to step into the present. Shooting 200 gr H&G 68, Fed 150 primers, and have found.

Bullseye too fast

Clays too fast

231/HP38 too dirty

Unique too dirty

On and on...

Trying to find something with the recoil impulse fo 231 and yet be clean...

I know the "hot" powder is VVN320, but on the burn index, it is almost as fast as Clays.

Is 3N37 too slow for this weight bullet. Need to make major, but need a SD less than 45 so I don't have to run at 860 fps.

Trying 4.8gr of Titegroup today, but does anyone have experience with 3N37.

TL,

What do you mean when you say those powders are too fast? Do you mean they show signs of pressure?

If so, I think you will find that some of the newer powders can give the fast burn-rate and do so with comparatively less pressure.

Flex

No pressure signs. The recoil impulse is too fast with Clays. Looking for something with less snap, less slide speed. Titegroup shows promise, just back from the range and 4.8 didn't quite make major. May try 5.0 as I need another 25fps, but also going to try some N350 Friday and Guy Neill says to try some Scott #2 Improved, and Larry says to try N340. Still looking...

A lot of 45 shooters like WST. Of course, I use TG for everything...so that would be my choice.

About the snappy slide vs. the softer feel...people certainly seem to prefer one over the other. Usually they state that they like the feel of one better. I wonder how they prove on the timer though?

I'd love to see some data from shooters that went thru Burkett's timing drills...then get their split times on a few Bill Drills. (comparing snappy vs. soft)

Guest Larry Cazes

I also would suggest WST. I have just started to load 200 RNs with it. It is squeaky clean and looking good at 168PF.

Larry

Ignore the burn rate chart. It can lead to experiments like I did with International Clays - the worst powder ever. :angry:

Titegroup and N320 may be close to Clays on a list, but the list mostly shows velocity divided by charge weight. Shooting ammo in the gun has more variables.

TG and N320 :rolleyes: are much more forgiving than Clays, SuperTarget or AA#2 - they have a much later, much more moderate spike in pressure.

3n37 is too slow for 45acp. You might try SuperField or N330. I liked both of those powders in 40 at the old power factor.

TL,

You might want to pick up some 310 as well. I've used both 310 and 320 in .45 loadings and I perfer the 310, it is softer. Because of "shooters elbow" I limit my 45 shooting, but my elbow is less sore after shooting 310 loads than 320 loads.

FWIW