Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting media out of .223 cases?

Jay6

I just cleaned up a batch of .223 and have a bunch of cases full of tumbling media. What a pain in the butt to get out in order to resize. Any have any tips for getting them out or keeping this from happening?

Other than buying larger media which I though up on my own.

I guess the media is in the flashholes? I tumbled cases once with no primers but broke several decapping pins getting that out. Never did it that way again. I tumble, lube, decap-trim & size, load, then tumble again. If I decap-trim & size & I'm not ready to load, I just place them in a big freezer baggy until later. Keeps them clean. That is just me. Lots of folks seem to be able to tumble after decapping but it hasn't worked out for me. I wound up that one time with a very small nail picking the media out of the brass after breaking those pins. The primer pockets still weren't all that clean but the flashholes sure were stopped up.

MLM

I just cleaned up a batch of .223 and have a bunch of cases full of tumbling media. What a pain in the butt to get out in order to resize. Any have any tips for getting them out or keeping this from happening?

Other than buying larger media which I though up on my own.

I use the dillion separator and I've never had that problem...

I use Lyman Tuffnut and the dillon seperator. Sometimes there is a grain in the flashole but universal decapping die takes care of it.

I tumble, size, trim, debur, process pocket and tumble agin to finish cleaning it up.

Yes, There isn't anything that removes the media more quickly and thoroughly than Dillon's Media Separator. (And definitely stick with "coarse grade" media. The fine grade (powder-like) corn cob media is a disaster.

I've noticed it's one those things that people don't like to spend the money for. I get that question a lot - "Does it work good?" or "Is it really worth it?" I usually say something like, "Yes, it looks a little mickey mouse, but it works wonderfully.

be

I find that the larger the media the worse the problem with it getting packed/stuck in the small bottle necked cases. I use the fine cut walnut shell media and have no problems getting it all out. I do use the Dillon Media Separator. I also see better results of cleaning the extractor grooves because of the finer grained media.

Now if your media has too much moisture in it (or too much polish), it can pack like mud or wet sand. This is of coarse a very bad condition.

I find that the larger the media the worse the problem with it getting packed/stuck in the small bottle necked cases. I use the fine cut walnut shell media and have no problems getting it all out. I do use the Dillon Media Separator. I also see better results of cleaning the extractor grooves because of the finer grained media.

Now if your media has too much moisture in it (or too much polish), it can pack like mud or wet sand. This is of coarse a very bad condition.

I have only had a problem with coarse media sticking in the cases when I have too much case cleaner mixed in the media. Dryer media, less packing...

THis is my problem. I think I am using media too large as some of it gets into the case but get stuck on the shoulder and will not come out. I am stuck sitting here with a pick trying to fish the stuff out. Not fun. I will have to go and get smaller media for rifle cases in the future.

If it is just media stuck in your cases, try throwing the brass back in your tumbler with no media in the bowl. It should shake all the stuff loose unless your media is very wet.

MLM

Thanks I will give that a try!