Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My slide is cracked

Glockcomma

I was just cleaning my STI and discovered my slide is cracked, it's cracked from the left front of the ejection port almost all the way down to the slide lock notch. It is 9mm Major, STI slide and frame, Brazos Thundercomp SX barrel and comp. I'm wondering what is the best way to get this gun up and running again, and is this common. If I buy a slide from brownells it still has to be fit right? if I have to send it off to a gunsmith any suggestions on who is good and fast. I live in Portland Or. and John Larson of JPL and Rob Shepherd of Major Nyne Guns are both good and close but unfortunately back logged.

I was just cleaning my STI and discovered my slide is cracked, it's cracked from the left front of the ejection port almost all the way down to the slide lock notch. It is 9mm Major, STI slide and frame, Brazos Thundercomp SX barrel and comp. I'm wondering what is the best way to get this gun up and running again, and is this common. If I buy a slide from brownells it still has to be fit right? if I have to send it off to a gunsmith any suggestions on who is good and fast. I live in Portland Or. and John Larson of JPL and Rob Shepherd of Major Nyne Guns are both good and close but unfortunately back logged.

You might try Robert Johnson at RJ's Custom Shop in Washougal, WA, just across the river from you. His # is 360-606-8727. I don't know about RJ's backlog, but most of the good gunsmith's around here are going to have a backlog, just depends on how long. If you want, give it to me at a match and I can drop the gun off at Rob Shepherd's for you since he only is a few blocks away from me in Salem. I have done it for others who needed work done - both to and from.

gf

gf;

RJ's custom is right next to you in Lyons Or. now, I'll call Rob at Major Nyne tomorrow and see what we're looking at. If it's feasible I'll run it out to him I'd like to make sure were on the same page but thanks for the offer.

P.S. your cert. is in the mail

Tim

gf;

RJ's custom is right next to you in Lyons Or. now, I'll call Rob at Major Nyne tomorrow and see what we're looking at. If it's feasible I'll run it out to him I'd like to make sure were on the same page but thanks for the offer.

Tim

PM sent rather than post back and forth here. Thanks.

A cracked slide in open guns is indicative of the stresses involved and can be caused by fitting and timing issues and/or simply by metal fatigue. The issue is not all that rare. gf

gf;

Tim

PM sent rather than post back and forth here. Thanks.

A cracked slide in open guns is indicative of the stresses involved and can be caused by fitting and timing issues and/or simply by metal fatigue. The issue is not all that rare. gf

...but it is rather costly :(