Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing type of primers

Zaitsev

Hey guys,

I've been reloading 9mm with the same load for a while now but it seems that I just can't find Winchester Small Pistol primers anywhere anymore(I'm in Quebec, Canada by the way). However, I found a place where I could get plenty of Federal 100 small pistol primers for a good price. I was wondering if changing primers would make a big difference and if so, how will it make a diference?

My actual load in my CZ Shadow is:

-5.3 grains of Long Shot powder;

-124gr Cam-Pro round nose bullet;

-Winchester Small Pistol primers;

-OAL 1.130

Average speed is 1080 ft/seconds for a 133-135 power factor.

Also, will that change my power factor in any way or will it still be the same?

Thanks for your help,

JP.

Edited by Zaitsev

should still be the same. if anything, 99.9% of your rounds should fire since federals are sensitive compared to winchester.

Edited by yoshidaex

There likely will be a change. How much is difficult to tell. Even changing lots of the same brand/type of primer can cause some changes. The changes probably won't be huge, but only chrono'ing will tell for sure. If you want to be extra cautious, start below your current charge and work up.

I haven't found a significant difference in results using one primer over another. Federals do let off easier due to the fact they use an older formula for the priming compund that ignites easier.

For Winchester primers try Higginson Powders, they may have some.

Take Care

Bob

I haven't found a significant difference in results using one primer over another. Federals do let off easier due to the fact they use an older formula for the priming compund that ignites easier.

For Winchester primers try Higginson Powders, they may have some.

Take Care

Bob

Unfortunatelly, Higginson is out of WSP to. That's where I usually buy them.

So far, from what I have been told, that doesn't seem to make any difference at all. I'll probably buy a 1000 first, chrono them and see if it makes any difference. If not, I'll probably buy a few untill I can find some WSP pimers again.

Thanks for your help guys,

JP.