Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Battery Assist Device (BAD)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a range report on the new EBRv2 fatfree lever.

Shot with it today and this one is 100%. Went through 30 last round bolt hold open checks loading 1 round in 6 different mags, 2 20 rd P-mags, 2 30 rd P-mags, and 2 30 rd GI metal mags. Zero failure to hold the bolt open on the last shot. Once that was done I started loading mags to 10 rds so I would have to reload more often than normal for the next 200 rds, again, zero failures to hold the bolt open on the last round.

I'm calling this one good to go, very happy with it and the customer service from Ken at Phase 5 Tactical.

Anyone used one of these B.A.D.'s while wearing gloves ???

Just curious if there is enough clearance for bulky gloves or if they might/could cause a malfunction.

It's pretty low prifile, I can't see it being a problem, but I haven't tried it yet.

If I make it to the range next week I'll definatly be wearing gloves, so I'll let ya know. Between the sun and firing today I got the floater tube hot enough I couldn't hold on to it, and I'm a welder so I'm used to heat. Time to start gloving up to shoot the ole ar. :roflol:

Anyone used one of these B.A.D.'s while wearing gloves ???

Just curious if there is enough clearance for bulky gloves or if they might/could cause a malfunction.

I wear nomex flight gloves almost every time I shoot, and have had no issues related to glove use with the BAD prototype I got from Travis, the Phase V, or the production BAD.

• 4 months later...

Anybody know where I can get the Battery Assist Device (BAD)? Is it even available yet? Anybody have and/or used one? Is it any good?

Travis H starts to talk about it at 1:05.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moas5mUD9yA

I primarily need it to quickly lock back the bolt. A match that I am gearing up for doesn't allow you to run with a round chambered. So after a shot I need to lock back the bolt and I am looking for a better/smother way of doing it with an AR. Any other options out there other than the BAD and DPMS Tactical Bolt Catch?

I put one on my SBR just to try it out. All my ARs will be getting one now. Much easier to use. Takes a little getting use to(less than an hr) and it just feels more natural than the old way. When I use it i dont even think about it. It feels weird now running a gun without it

I purchased one of the very first BAD levers and have never looked back . I run a Gen 1 Redi-Mag and my bolt release is impossible to reach so this was an excellent addition to my rifle . Running through the Manual Of Arms is much easier IMO using the BAD lever as well as being much faster .

I believe anyone calling someone a copycat needs to take a hard look at what was here long before Magpul or anyone else announced a lever like this .

Its kind of hard to see in this picture but the original Redi-Mags make it kind of tough to get your thumb on the bolt release and slapping it with the palm of your hand is flat out impossible .

DTI_AR1.JPG

I've been running the Magpul BAD and I think it's money well spent for me.

The Magpul BAD has a little bit of play in it compared with the Phase 5 version that has the bolt release built into it.

Have three different types, the Magpul BAD, the Phase 5 and the tango 5 (no longer made). I like the Magpul BAD the best in terms of shape, position, and profile of the lever - so it is my first choice where possible. However, the Phase5 one-piece lever works with all of my uppers, whereas the Magpul BAD is not compatible with billet uppers - so I use the Phase5 for those configurations. The Phase5 is a solid piece of kit, I do like it a lot, just prefer the positioning of the Magpul BAD. I would echo that the BAD does have some play in it even after you clamp it down.