Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle Brake

Alfie

JP muzzle brake on a previously threaded barrel. Do I lok-tite it? Do I torque it? Or do I just turn it one half turn past finger tight?

It's the black break so it should come with the crush washer not the peel washer. I haven't opened the package yet so I don't actually know yet.

Not sure about the JP brake specifically, but one that I have (Miculek style) came with a split washer and a jam nut. You put the nut then the washer on, then spin the brake on until it's all the way down, then back it off until it's timed correctly (i.e. ports facing the way you want) then tighten the jam nut up to it. No loctite on mine - with the heat the barrel gets to anyway, I think it'd melt standard red loctite.

~Mitch

I used red loctite plus a spring washer (the type used on the M16A1) to hold my stainless Cooley brake on my stainless barrel. It has held on just fine for the last 5 years. On another rifle I used blue loctite with the same type of spring washer, and iut also held OK for 2 years. I believe either will be OK... the key is probably the spring washer.

I use no washer, the smith made it to index just right. He used red loc-tite. I had to heat it up with a torch to get it off. I just took it off and then put it back on, this time I used blue. I hope it holds.

Randy