Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Semi new shooter(less then 5 matches)

waxman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary Stevens asked to add a comment or two to this thread, and they are wise words, indeed:

I offer this for what it is worth. I teach that keeping to the range commands is the best and safest method. That being said, common sense, yes I said it again, can be our best guide.

For instance, if I come up to a stage where the RO's running it are long time friends of mine, I expect (hope) they will say "HI, how are you?" This usually happens while the stage is in it's final moments of being reset. I am sure they also know that when I get down to my final prep that they will remain silent, and be prepared to give the MR command. As has been previously stated this can also be used to relax a new shooter that seems to be really up tight. Standing in front of them while you give them a smile and a friendly welcome can usually prevent any untimely draws. Again this is risky and can cause issues. When possible, the best approach is to stay within the official range commands.

You have to know who you are dealing with, to use the pre-command banter approach. If you don't know the shooter, and don't know how they will react to some pre-command banter, the best course is don't do it, stay with the official range commands.

There are ways to handle the stage with a bunch of walls and props, but that requires enough staff to have the last RO clear the range for you and give you the "high sign" that you are OK to proceed. I suggest that if you feel you must give a "going hot" call, that you tell everyone during the WSB that you will be doing so, and ask if they all understand.

One of the positive things about our sport is the friends you get to see at the range, and the camaraderie. It is important that we maintain that, but we also need to carefully approach deviating from the official range commands.

Gary

I also cleaned out some of the emotionally-charged content that crept in.

We don't all have to like each other, but let's treat each other with respect when we're here.