Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot Challenged is Barry Mount the answer

CocoBolo

Just shot my second match with the Quinn, I am buying a second Quinn for my primary gun. The darn ugly bugger is the greatest thing since sliced bacon.

I am left eye dominant right handed and shoot with both eyes open by putting the gun in front of the left eye. I have not trouble shootling Iron sights. As mentioned earlier when bending down and around corners etc I had the C-more challenge of finding the dot, off the draw I had no problem. I move my eyes to the next target then bring the gun in front of the eye, dot or iron sight break the shot. I call all my shots with my eyes can't see the holes. No I didn't devote every waking hour to dry fire, I did about 15 min a day and shot open for six months, I was ready to sell both my open guns and all the bullets powder etc. So I tried the Quinn now I think I can do it and still enjoy shooting limited when I want with little or no adjustment.

I saw a GM that shoots only open for many years lose his dot weak hand, the quinn makes weak hand strong hand no problem that is the place where it really shines for me.

It is unfair to say the Quinn is Ugly it is actually a great looking mount that is well made and fit the Dawson pattern holes in my gun perfectly and the holes in the C-More. The only one calling it ugly are the shooters stuck in old school that think an open gun has to have the upright mount and the shooter must dedicate his life to over coming this in effective design, sort of a right of passage.

The Quinn gets dirty from the blast at the same rate as a regular mounted C-More without a blast shield. This is a small price to pay for 3 or 4 seconds a stage.

Edited by CocoBolo

I also am right handed, and left eye dominant.

I bought my first open gun in 2004. I ordered a new Bedell "Shorty" with a C-more. I tried shooting in front of my left eye, but, found that it worked better to put a little scotch tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses like I have to do with shotgun.

After 2004 Nationals, I changed to an OKO sight, which has a bigger window, and never had a problem finding the dot, but, nobody services OKO anymore now that STI gave them up, and I couldn't even find an adapter to put one on the open gun I bought last year that came with a C-more. I did switch my newest open gun to a Barry mount to be able to run crappy brass, but, I've found I have more trouble finding the dot wioth the lower mount, than the higher one.

I think that I still shoot limited better than open.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a great story Ron and it really makes me feel good to know I was a part of your staying in Open.

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Jim Thompson

Quinn Engineering

Just shot my second match with the Quinn, I am buying a second Quinn for my primary gun. The darn ugly bugger is the greatest thing since sliced bacon.

I am left eye dominant right handed and shoot with both eyes open by putting the gun in front of the left eye. I have not trouble shootling Iron sights. As mentioned earlier when bending down and around corners etc I had the C-more challenge of finding the dot, off the draw I had no problem. I move my eyes to the next target then bring the gun in front of the eye, dot or iron sight break the shot. I call all my shots with my eyes can't see the holes. No I didn't devote every waking hour to dry fire, I did about 15 min a day and shot open for six months, I was ready to sell both my open guns and all the bullets powder etc. So I tried the Quinn now I think I can do it and still enjoy shooting limited when I want with little or no adjustment.

I saw a GM that shoots only open for many years lose his dot weak hand, the quinn makes weak hand strong hand no problem that is the place where it really shines for me.

It is unfair to say the Quinn is Ugly it is actually a great looking mount that is well made and fit the Dawson pattern holes in my gun perfectly and the holes in the C-More. The only one calling it ugly are the shooters stuck in old school that think an open gun has to have the upright mount and the shooter must dedicate his life to over coming this in effective design, sort of a right of passage.

The Quinn gets dirty from the blast at the same rate as a regular mounted C-More without a blast shield. This is a small price to pay for 3 or 4 seconds a stage.

I say dry fire more, but include add in maneuvering around barricades to your routine. One of the drills that helped me out when I was starting out (both Limited and Open) came from BE, where:

Step 1: With the pistol gripped, present the gun to the target. Repeat 'til you get it every time.

Step 2: With the weak hand removed, acquire your grip, present the gun to the target. Repeat 'til you get it every time.

Step 3: Put the gun in your weak hand, grab it with the strong hand, acquire your grip, present the gun to the target. Repeat...you get the idea.

It's a VERY fundamental drill, but is crazy effective (see BE's definition of the Fundamentals and their absolute nature).

Rule's #1-10 for success in all of this is HONESTY WITH YOUR RESULTS.

Now, I'm not saying you're doing this. It's just that a lot of folks want to go to Level 10, without hangin' out Level's 1-9. They are fundamentals and therefore mandatory and cannot be foresaken.

Anyways, add in barricades to your dry fire routine and I think you'll see a positive result. When in doubt, go to a tube sight. :D

Rich

Now, I'm not saying you're doing this. It's just that a lot of folks want to go to Level 10, without hangin' out Level's 1-9. They are fundamentals and therefore mandatory and cannot be foresaken.

Somehow lowering the relationship of the dot to the bore will in no way correct an inconsistent or improper presentation of the gun. It may assist with one portion of switching between Open and an iron sight gun (that is, the height that you present the gun at so that the aiming system lines up with your eye), but that's about it. There are many ways to prevent that dot from showing up in the lens, all of which are fixed by drills like what Rich describes, and the majority of which are not fixed by lowering the dot.

Do the work.

If you want the gear, fine, but realize that when it comes to fundamental skills, you cannot buy performance with anything other than sweat, blood, tears, and elbow grease.... ;):cheers:

(and... switching to a tube scope will make it easier to recover from a bad presentation, but you still lose time on a tube scope when you present then and the dot is not aligned... Going to a tube scope simply to prevent you from doing this work is also a crutch and a fallacy... for exactly the same reasons ;) Do the work... :lol: )