Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp works too well?

Tizzle

A friend and I were discussing what comp to try next after he added a JP reduced weight bolt carrier and adjustable gas block. He said the recoil is absolutely awesome now and he loves it from a supported position but when shooting off-hand the muzzle flips below the target. I of course told him to turn the comp upside down (he shoots too damn well anyway), but he saw through my words of "wisdom." So my question is, if you were to drill out the top holes, would the downward pressure be reduced? Or would it be better to fill them in? We won't be doing either but I'm still wondering what the answer would be. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tiz

I had a 16" light barrel gun with an A2 flash suppressor with a washer welded on the end (I bought it this way). First time I shot it I couldn't believe it the muzzle dipped when fired, I just reamed out the washer until it was neutral.

It is just a matter of grip. You get used to firing without the comp and then add a comp; of course the sights will dip. Shoot that thing for a few hundred rounds and you will be on target.

The First AR comp I built worked great prone. When I fired off-hand I began to notice that the butt stock was whacking me painfully in the cheek. Yes, a rifle comp can push down too hard, depending on several factors. Balance in all things, Grasshopper.

After reading the replies I re-read my post to see that I failed to mention that the comp had always been on the rifle. It's a JP comp as well, but the only changes were the bolt and gas block, well new barrell too but that shouldn't affect anything as it specs out the same. As far as muscleing the weapon... ?? the rifle rests on the support hand. Muscleing goes against everything I know or teach. All I was really asking was what in theory would reduce the downward push on the muzzle. Smaller ports would create higher pressure with less volume, and vice versa with larger ports. I just didn't want to drill out the ports only to make matters worse. Is "tuning" the comp a common practice?

I forgot to include that I cured the problem on my comp by reaming the bore .010 larger. Letting more gas escape out the business end seemed like the better thing to do to me. My gas ports on top were letting out too much gas already. I've never experimented with a lighter bolt carrier, so I can't comment on how that might interact with the comp. -Sam

edited to add:

You know, it's interesting about the gas block. Again, I have never gone away from stock with my guns, so I'm sorta guessing here. If the gas block is tuned to reduce gas flow into the carrier key, that gas is going to have to go out somewhere else in a hurry. Maybe this would explain the improved efficiency of the comp?

Edited by Sam

edited to add:

You know, it's interesting about the gas block. Again, I have never gone away from stock with my guns, so I'm sorta guessing here. If the gas block is tuned to reduce gas flow into the carrier key, that gas is going to have to go out somewhere else in a hurry. Maybe this would explain the improved efficiency of the comp?

That's what we're figuring too. I've never used anything other than the pinned gas block because it's so uber reliable. Pretty cool when you think about it, makes me realize how truly ingenious the gas operated rifle is. Wonder what else I could pipe that gas to?... maybe an Aliens style round counter, lol.

I'd rather have a slight downward movement than any upward movement or no movement at all. I can't call a shot unless the sight picture moves, and if it moves down it is easier for me to bring back with control than it is to pull it down when shooting a rifle.

It's not that the gasblock made more gas go down the business end, it's that it's now

missing the secondary recoil of the carrier. I run a JP brake with a gas block adjusted

to minimum and a lightened carrier and the rifle rises ever so slightly (slightly) to 1 o'clock

as it should from barrel torque. I would say you should go out and shoot several hundred rounds

and get used to the gun. Stop pushing it down !! :P a

Edited by P.Pres

When I see where it moved from I know where the bullet went. The sights are always moving to some extent, and the change of direction or change in speed tells me where the bullet went. If the gun doesn't move, and I have tried it, I just can't call a shot with the accuracy that I can when the sight moves.