Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pinnacle Guns

twister

Less rotating mass... lighter smother trigger pull with less battering of the bolt/notches. As well, possible improvements in accuracy due to less bullet jump to the forcing cone.

Wow that is pretty cool. Does it require a new barrel? How does the performance (durability of the notches, strength for containing pressure) compare to the Ti cylinder mod?

Edited by adweisbe

Doug Carden had Pinnacle make him one a couple years ago. Remember?--we called it the "starter pistol on steroids"! :) Pretty cool looking heater.

But when Doug shot the IRC last weekend, he used his plain ol' 627 with a retrofitted blue 6" barrel and full-length cylinder instead. Told me it shoots great at 50 yards with his .38 Short Colt loads, and he's big into intrinsic accuracy. I think the "less bullet jump" theory is pretty much out the window.

BTW, the short cylinder concept is a gimmick, but not really a new gimmick. My old Nowlin 25-2 (the coolest revolver of all time) has one, and they tried it on PPC revolvers back in the day.

Damn Im trying to figure out how he did that 45, the end gap and all with the shortened cylinder. Mabye its bored with a barrel liner inside, Like the new

smiths. Kinda like a Dan wesson. Hmm I wonder.

Mike, that's what has me wondering how he did the barrel. It looks like he made a custom barrel to look like a stock barrel, otherwise I don't know how he would be able to machine the barrel for the setback. Also, does anyone know if S&W would install a 5" barrel on my 4" 625?

I've never seen a shortened cylinder by Mark H. or anybody else (mine was done by John Nowlin) that wasn't simply cut off. Of course, when you simply cut off the front end off the cylinder, you lose part of the original internal contour of the chamber as it tapers to the mouth. The first part of the forcing cone effectively disappears. Perhaps this is why Doug never experienced the accuracy improvement he was looking for. And why my short-cylinder Nowlin gun doesn't shoot any better than any other 25-2......

Also, does anyone know if S&W would install a 5" barrel on my 4" 625?

Yes, if they have any 5" barrels left in stock (they still did the last time I heard), they will install one on your 625.

Late to the party......

In the short colt gun, the load I worked up shoots 2inches at 50yds.....In the full cylinder factory barrel gun it shoots 3-4inches at 50yds.

The short colt gun has a .355 bore with a taylor throat, and I am shooting .356 bullets in it. The factory barrel is .3565 and shoots the .356 bullets well at 25yds like the short colt gun. At 50yds you see the difference of the .355 barrel and the taylor throat versus the full cylinder with taylor throat and factory barrel.

I submit that if you have a concentric entry point for the bullet so it hits the lands/grooves straight on it doesnt matter if you have the constriction in the front of the cylinder or not. Less bullet jump is always a good thing for accuracy in my experience, but you also need to have a load that shoots well in your gun first, or it is all academic.....back to my lounging at the PROAM......time for another Corona...... :cheers:

DougC