Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Instinct Shooting

benos

I just finished "Instinct Shooting" by Mike Jennings. What a great read. Mike tells the tale of the instinct shooting legend/pioneer Lucky McDaniels.

It's long out of print and therefore pricy, you probably won't find one for less than in the $50 zone. I got my copy from Alibris.

Although it doesn't have the awesome old drawings and pics the book has, the Wikipedia link above has lots of great info on Lucky and his teaching methods.

I'm gonna buy me an air rifle.

;)

I just finished "Instinct Shooting" by Mike Jennings. What a great read. Mike tells the tale of the instinct shooting legend/pioneer Lucky McDaniels.

It's long out of print and therefore pricy, you probably won't find one for less than in the $50 zone. I got my copy from Alibris.

Although it doesn't have the awesome old drawings and pics the book has, the Wikipedia link above has lots of great info on Lucky and his teaching methods.

I'm gonna buy me an air rifle.

;)

Great stuff. I remember my Dad teaching me to shoot pennies with my BB gun in a very similar style. I think he learned it from instructors at Carlisle Barracks. Thanks for the information.

I grew up shooting just like that. I started shooting Archery when I was 7 and started shooting air rifles when I was 9. Archery was all about instinct shooting; no sights to look at- just the target. I carried that into BB guns and then on to Air rifles. My first real air rifle was a busted up Benjamin pump, lacking a front sight. I couldn't afford pellets, so I used BB's- which rolled out of the barrel when you pointed down. I lived on a lake and Grandpa would pay me a bounty on snakes and turtles. Everything was head shots- so I got very good at point shooting from port arms in less time than it took the BB to roll onto the ground.

I used to practice on dragon flys as they perched on the mooring cables for the dock.

Edited by VegasOPM

I grew up shooting just like that. I started shooting Archery when I was 7 and started shooting air rifles when I was 9. Archery was all about instinct shooting; no sights to look at- just the target. I carried that into BB guns and then on to Air rifles. My first real air rifle was a busted up Benjamin pump, lacking a front sight. I couldn't afford pellets, so I used BB's- which rolled out of the barrel when you pointed down. I lived on a lake and Grandpa would pay me a bounty on snakes and turtles. Everything was head shots- so I got very good at point shooting from port arms in less time than it took the BB to roll onto the ground.

I used to practice on dragon flys as they perched on the mooring cables for the dock.

I forgot about the BB's rolling out. After dropping 2 or 3 loads on the ground I got the hang of it. Made you keep the gun up, ready to shoot.

FWIW the Los Angeles public library has a 1959 and a 1965 copy of "Instinct Shooting". It'll take a couple of days to get to my local branch for pickup, but it's still pretty cool. Nice to see some tax dollars helping out my shooting! I might get laughed at for bringing the old Red Rider out to the range next week, but I'm going to anyway. Right after I read the book. Gimme a couple of weeks and it'll be back in the system if anyone else is so inclined. Thanks for the tip Brian.

They have a couple copies of Ed McGivern's book as well if anyone in the area is interested.

Kevin :cheers:

Lucky was awesome and a pioneer and what is cool many things that he taught ie;stance for one I have encountered at every firearms training course I have attended. I sure would have liked to have met him!

Friday, I ordered an 804c Daisy Air Rifle from airgundepot.com.

;)

Interesting thread Brian - thanks for the heads up. I just order the book.

Trying to decide between the 804C and the Red Ryder (which it looks like Lucky used).

My favorite old book store (AbeBooks) has one for $30.

I remember doing what must have been similar to instinct shooting when I was a kid. I had a bb gun and a home made bb backstop / trap and had pennies hanging by fishing line.

We did go though the "quick kill" training in Army Basic Training in 1970 and I gather it remained part of the training for a long time. We did "point shooting" on the range then geared up in our field jackets, helmets, and goggles and moved through the trees with our bb guns looking for snipers who shot at us with their bb guns. Just about the only "fun" thing we did in basic, even if it was 85 degrees and we were all sweating from being in all that gear.

Of course, leave it to the DI's to take the fun out of it by tossing some canisters of CS gas onto the course near the end. You really don't want to get that stuff on your skin when you are hot and sweaty and just try shooting at something while wearing a gas mask. Here it is going on 40 years later and I can still smell that stuff and feel it on my skin while sitting here writing about it.

Edited by Graham Smith

• 4 months later...
I bought this book on eBay in a lot with two other books for something like $20. Was hoping on reading it this winter. Has anyone read the book and applied the techniques to aerial shooting?

I've studied the book and bought a BB Gun. And now that it's cooling off, I plan to start some arial shooting soon.

be