Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

got my gun back

gregoryd

If it were me I would order a separate slide and barrel (ie. oversized) and send both to Rich at Canyon Creek and get him to fit them up using one of Henning's custom slide stops. It should give you a really tight lockup.

Does Tanfoglio even offer an over sized barrel?

I was thinking of give Rich a call but man, sending a gun from Canada to a U.S. smith is such a huge PIA! Anyway, maybe he can retro-fit a new top end.

I have a small frame EAA Gold team that was a perfect gun. It never experienced any of the broken or bent slide stop problems that were prevalent. In the middle of a match the lower lug sheared off the barrel and I sent it back for repair. The gun came back with a new barrel but the fit was much tighter than before and the barrel lock-up was similar to a tight 1911 in the way the barrel "cammed" into the slide tightly. Before shoting the gun I contacted EAA to ensure that the ultra-tight lock-up was proper and they assured me that the gun was fine as shipped. The slide cracked at the ejection port within the first 25 rounds. I sent the gun back and they installed a new barrel & slide that were fit like the originals. The fit was snug but did not have the "camming" of a 1911 lock-up. All has been fine for a few thousand rounds afterward, although I do not shoot the gun that often anymore.

I think that the moral of the story is that you do not want, or need, a bank vault tight lock-up on a Gold team gun. I do not believe that the slides were designed to take that type of barrel camming and usually crack at the ejection port as a result.

Edited by L9X25

I have a small frame EAA Gold team that was a perfect gun. It never experienced any of the broken or bent slide stop problems that were prevalent. In the middle of a match the lower lug sheared off the barrel and I sent it back for repair. The gun came back with a new barrel but the fit was much tighter than before and the barrel lock-up was similar to a tight 1911 in the way the barrel "cammed" into the slide tightly. Before shoting the gun I contacted EAA to ensure that the ultra-tight lock-up was proper and they assured me that the gun was fine as shipped. The slide cracked at the ejection port within the first 25 rounds. I sent the gun back and they installed a new barrel & slide that were fit like the originals. The fit was snug but did not have the "camming" of a 1911 lock-up. All has been fine for a few thousand rounds afterward, although I do not shoot the gun that often anymore.

I think that the moral of the story is that you do not want, or need, a bank vault tight lock-up on a Gold team gun. I do not believe that the slides were designed to take that type of barrel camming and usually crack at the ejection port as a result.

Was that the OLD IPSC? where the PF has to be 175 or more? I remember the old P9

were also cracking at the ejection ports. it was just TOO MUCH PF!! I dont believe it

will happen on on the V12s if we keep the PF at 165-168

If I remember correctly, one way to avoid that was to shoot 130g bullets so that the gun shot

softer and didnt take too much beating.

Alot of the slides that cracked were the shorter lighter ones. This is not to say the long slides didn't, I just think it was more common with the short ones. I was also told of the same issue from a European shooter years ago with the light/short CZ-75 slides. But, the ejection port crack seemed to be the common spot that did let go.To be totally honest, my P9 saw several thousands of 124gr 175 PF ammo, and I still use a Storm Lake Machine barrel that was fitted by a kick a-- gunsmith who I wish still built guns by the way; from R.Elliots neck of the woods (Ontario) and I broke my first slidestop just before the 2005 Nationals- and thats the truth. I do agree barrel fit is important, and I think Rob's idea of welding up the hood might work/help. If my EAA gun ends up with this issue, I am going to weld it up and try and re-fit the barrel. I would be really curious of the outcome if someone who gets a new V-12 gun would try running as heavy as a recoil spring as they can get away with to keep the gun locked up as long as possible before dropping as the slide stop pulls it down during the cycle. It may not mean nothing, but would cure my curiosity if someone tried it.

Does Tanfoglio even offer an over sized barrel?

I was thinking of give Rich a call but man, sending a gun from Canada to a U.S. smith is such a huge PIA! Anyway, maybe he can retro-fit a new top end.

I ordered the 6" match barrel from EAA and used my existing slide. Rich cut the end off and re-threaded the barrel with a new compensator and fitted the barrel to slide/frame. It's a tight fit, I had some issues with the KC GunCoat on the inside of the slide, there was a small rough patch that was causing some malfunctions but once this was smoothed out it worked fine.

I ordered the 6" match barrel from EAA and used my existing slide. Rich cut the end off and re-threaded the barrel with a new compensator and fitted the barrel to slide/frame. It's a tight fit, I had some issues with the KC GunCoat on the inside of the slide, there was a small rough patch that was causing some malfunctions but once this was smoothed out it worked fine.

Round count so far?