Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

K frame heat treating?

mikeone

Are the 60's + k frame pistol frames heat treated all the same or are there differences between the .38 and .357 guns?

I have a project I am building a 10 frame with a stainless .357 cylinder and barrel. I know about the weak spots of this gun

I just need to know if this frame can take the punishment of the .357 cartridge.

Thanks Mike

Not sure you will get a definitive answer from anybody. Kinda depends on what you mean by "take the punishment" Are you building a carry gun that will shoot the 357 infrequently ? Or something like the Silhouette shooters shoot, steady high volume diet of max loads. I suspect a 10 frame would act like a 19 if shot with heavy loads over a long period of time, loosen up slowly not experience a major failure.

But internet advice is what it is, don't take mine.

Boats

Edited by Boats

My concern would not be the frame as much as the ammo. Pressures have changed since those guns were made. I would also wager a guess the cylinder is the more important part of the equation.

If you really want to play, I have a 4" 19 with a screwed up barrel that although it shoots fine, is not something I would try to sell to someone without them realizing it really needs a barrel. If you are interested, let me know. I was going to save it and make a PPC gun out of it as I am into it for short money.

PM or e mail

I have heard all the stories that the heat treat is different and this and that.

I have checked exactly one model 10 and one model 19. The difference was not enough in my opinion to worry about.

The 10 was ever so slightly softer than the 19. I don't remeber off the top of my head the number.

THAT SAID, that was a sample of one each. Proceed with caution. Your mileage not may but WILL vary.

This too is information from the internet from someone you don't know or know my background.

And every gun will be different.

If you are worried before doing anything have it checked.

As with any k frame EVEN those factory 357s will shoot loose if feed a steady diet of magnum loads. I know I have done it.

The only ones who know for sure are the heat treat guys at Smith who actually did the job. It makes more sense from a

production standpoint to do them all the same. However, batches of anything will vary, from the steel melts to the

individual forgings, the heat treat and machining. The metal alloys, heat treating and machining are all way better now

than 10, 20, 30 or more years ago. It is most likely that a few magnums in a model 10 would work fine, but there is no

way to know ahead of time. If the gun holds up, it worked. If it blows up, it didn't work.

The only ones who know for sure are the heat treat guys at Smith who actually did the job. It makes more sense from a

production standpoint to do them all the same. However, batches of anything will vary, from the steel melts to the

individual forgings, the heat treat and machining. The metal alloys, heat treating and machining are all way better now

than 10, 20, 30 or more years ago. It is most likely that a few magnums in a model 10 would work fine, but there is no

way to know ahead of time. If the gun holds up, it worked. If it blows up, it didn't work.

Thanks Guys!

Toolguy, you know thats what I was thinking, don't know why they would heat treat huge batches of forgings differently,

and in having some inherently weaker what if they got mixed up :blink: Stranger things have happened.

I'll just build the puppy and see what happens, Im not trying to shoot hellfire out of the thing, but it

would be nice to have a K frame that shoots 357 sometimes.

Thanks again Guys

Mike