Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning after shooting moly coated bullets

fwyflyr

GO,

I can understand your feelings, but with the money I will save on bullets, I could buy a new barrel in a couple of years shooting. I used the mixture recently and must say that it WORKS! My barrel looks NEW. I cleaned it the old fashioned way afterward to remove any residue of the concoction. I now clean it after every time I shoot the thing. Heck it only takes 15 minutes! By that time I'm done with the rest of the guns and the mags. Throw the barrel back in the gun, and your good to go.

Jimmy

• 7 months later...

+1 on the MPro 7 and Precision Bullets. Buy the gallon size - it is a HUGE price savings.

True but the MPro7 does oxidize and develops a white precipitate that settles so I'm only buying smaller quantities of the stuff. I can't vouch for the potency (which to me seems to drop when I see this) but it is still a very good cleaner. The 50% Peroxide and 50% Vinegar is very effective BUT corrosive enough to etch your barrel when left for longer than 20"( done this to a glock 35 factory barrel twice!). I think I've learned to use it for only 10-15" max. The Moly coating and corrosion is an issue in rifle barrels due to the velocities of rifle bullets. I've read that those velocities turn moly into an abrasive compound and that is hydrophilic as well. There is another product I've used sparingly that I'm willing to try more made by Bore Tech(see here; http://www.boretech.com/docs/chemicalguide.shtml). It smells citrus like and the name is Moly Magic. Good discussion on this.

Racine

Edited by racine

+1 on the MPro 7 and Precision Bullets. Buy the gallon size - it is a HUGE price savings.

The 50% Peroxide and 50% Vinegar is very effective BUT corrosive enough to etch your barrel when left for longer than 20"( done this to a glock 35 factory barrel twice!).

The Peroxide/Vinegar mix is only supposed to be used on STAINLESS barrels. Out of the gun. And no more than 10 minutes. Use it on regular steel barrels or get it near bluing at your own risk. ;)

I had a 6" Limited gun that the previous owner of Masterblasters used to own, several years ago.... I got it well used, it must have had 80k+ rounds of moly through it over several years. I never cleaned it except maybe twice a year - used this Peroxide/Vinegar dunk, wiped out the crud, oiled and reassembled. Stainless Schuemann AET. I never had any decrease in accuracy or visible wear on the rifling.... unlike the rest of the gun which rattled and looked run over by several trucks. :(

Check the Precision web site for warning about useing too fast (hot) burning powders w/his bullets. Titegroup is one that is not recomended. As has been stated, the mix of vinegar/peroxide will KILL a steel barrel and pit a stainless one if left too long. Schuman doesn't recomend cleaning at all. I've had good luck w/M Pro 7in my barrels and copper wool for polishing.

Edited by granderojo