Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock RTF Frame

poke_53

I have the 17RTF. I think the grip does break in after a week or two. The first couple of times it sands off some of the skin on your palm, but then the grip seems to slightly soften up and isn't so harsh. Overall I think the grip is excellent. My first Glock and I am very happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Always wanted a G22 for a "Zombie" gun. Went to the local shop and felt up the RTF. Bought it on the spot. Liked it so much that I sold my Gen 3 G34 and bought one of the G17 RTF2s the week they hit the street. I am a died in the wool 1911 snob but have carried Glocks for work for years and they are number 2 on my list of guns I own (e.g. I only own 1911s and Glocks). When they come out with a G34 in RTF, I may get one to start shooting production occasionally (if I haven't already done so with the 17). If you don't have sissy hands, the RTF is the way to go. Grip tape will come off eventually.

I would think a Glock 17 would be a better zombie gun. All you need is a head shot, 9mm should work for that just as well as .40, and in a situation like a serious zombie attack the extra magazine capacity would be a plus.

Ya gots ta THINK about these things. (points wisely at forehead)

Grip tape will come off eventually.

Depends on the type of grip tape. Skateboard tape is just sandpaper with adhesive on one side; being paper it will wear out and require replacement on a regular basic. OTOH ladder tape (aka 3M Tread Tape) is polypropylene i.e. plastic and never wears out. Really, I don't see why one application of ladder tape couldn't last you, well, forever. And the extra traction afforded on the grip will be a major positive trait during those rapid fire multi-opponent zombie attacks we're always dealing with.

+1 to grip tape. Shooting in the rain at Area 8 and last week here at home-practicing drawing and shooting plastic bag covered targets makes me appreciate the RTF grip even more. When rain is pouring off your hat and the beeper goes off, it sure is good to feel this when you go for your gun.

Duane has a point on the 17 but until late October I will still be living in So. California and they have some BIG zombies out here (not to mention a boat load of them). Still an advocate of the RTF2 for those zombie blood soaked hands to hold onto the gun. :roflol: LOL. When I get out of Commie Zombie land, I may take up your advice on the 17.

Seriously though, I think the RTF2 frame is the best idea that Glock has had in a long time. It isn't for everyone as some have "delicate" hands but the RTF2 holds as good as my Stryder grips on my 1911s. I have shot stages in IDPA where you have had to put both hands in a sink full of water to start the stage and my Stryders are rock solid. I have not done it yet but feel secure in saying that the RTF2 would do no less.

• 2 weeks later...
Grip tape will come off eventually.

Depends on the type of grip tape. Skateboard tape is just sandpaper with adhesive on one side; being paper it will wear out and require replacement on a regular basic. OTOH ladder tape (aka 3M Tread Tape) is polypropylene i.e. plastic and never wears out. Really, I don't see why one application of ladder tape couldn't last you, well, forever. And the extra traction afforded on the grip will be a major positive trait during those rapid fire multi-opponent zombie attacks we're always dealing with.

I agree with the ladder or step tape. I didn't know the difference when I first started shooting competition and I went to Lowe's and the step tape is all they had so I got it. Been using it for almost 2 years and not even a corner has peeled back since shooting in everything from pouring rain to sticky sweaty heat. On the other hand I just bought a G17 RTF yesterday and will start using that and put my 2nd gen G17 away as back up. I love the feel of the grip and my friend got one as soon as they came out and he puts wear on guns, his grip is still perfect.

The first of my 2 certificate Glock 17's came in yesterday. When I sent in the certs there was no option to select a G17RTF so I just checked the G17 box and then wrote "I would prefer an RTF frame if possible" below. I then crossed my fingers and mailed it off.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see that they did in fact send me the RTF, and after playing with it for a few hours last night, I'm sold on the new texture, it feels great. I can't wait to shoot it in a few matches.

Got to finally shoot them (Glock Armorers with demo guns were at the CA State IDPA Championship), both the 22 and 17 versions. Really nice. About the same as the TruGrip, I think.

Worth considering for the next Glock acquisition. If nothing else, if it doesn't work for me, there's what AM said :rolleyes: :

I think the new texture might help the Trugrip tape stick better. :roflol:

Got to finally shoot them (Glock Armorers with demo guns were at the CA State IDPA Championship), both the 22 and 17 versions. Really nice. About the same as the TruGrip, I think.

Worth considering for the next Glock acquisition. If nothing else, if it doesn't work for me, there's what AM said :rolleyes: :

I think the new texture might help the Trugrip tape stick better. :roflol:

Where were they hiding? I did not see them there.

T