Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using The Sling In 3-gun

Mickster

In 3-gun matches where the stage requires a lot of fast, pretty close (35 yards max), rifle shots, is it worthwhile to take the time to use the sling as a shooting support?

The scenario woluld be like this. Rifle is staged on a table, fully loaded, safety on. Start with pistol and work your way to the rifle where you clear and ground the pistol and continue on with the rifle. Would you just grab it and go or take the time to sling, tighten and go?

Also, at what range would the targets have to be before a sling support would be really useful on the run-n-gun type stages, if at all?

Depends upon the target size. A full size IPSC target you could point shoot at 10-20 yards, at 35 you probably look over the barrel, maybe catch the sights, Only need for a sling, is to carry the rifle after the transition, or up to the transition. In the scenerio that you use, i would not bother to try to sling up, If the targets were out at several hundred yards, I might, again depending upon target size.

A more likely scenerio is you have the rifle slung, mag in, bolt closed on an empty chamber, you engage a series of targets with your HG, empty it, and either holster or ground, then engage the remaining targets with the rifle, now since I have the sling already in place, i might use it, again depending upon the target size and distance. Think about a 6 inch plate at 100 yards behind a no-shoot (MGM Hostage Target) I think I'd sling for that.

Ok, Jim you let the cat out of the bag. Now I know to practice those 100 yard plate shots with a hostage background, For your upcoming match,

Are you listening Nik, Ha, Ha,

Mickster, I fully agree, It is not worth the time at 35 yards to wrap in. Unless you have a real bad shake or something like that when you off hand shoot.

Keith,

I'm thinking I need you in a tree with a .308 to actually shoot that plate while I point my rifle in that general direction... Best thing about that match for me is the three minute time limit per stage --- it means that I can leave the sundial at home.

Except for transitions and carry, slings are generally just a waste of time on anything that is closer than 50 yards. If there is any hard support available from a prop or you can use the magazine as a monopod on a table surface or prone you can generally shoot out to 100-150 yards faster that way than by getting into a sling. I shoot open class so a sling is not preferred to a bipod when I go prone for long stuff. Generally a sling is only worth the time it takes when the shot is extremely tough or at extreme distance. This is where a steady position and the extra time it takes pays off. Otherwise speed is always of the essence. Never take time to do anything that isn't absolutely required to make the shot.

BTW, slings are of little or no benefit in the offhand position. They really only help when you can get yourself in a position where another part of your body is anchored to or by something and the sling then tensions you against that anchor point (typically prone, sitting and kneeling positions are the ones benefitted by sling tension).

Regards,