Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan on the way

2MoreChains

Hi everyone.

I started shooting USPSA in Sept w/ a Kimber TLE II, and recently decided to get a STI Trojan to serve as my primary SS gun. The STI should be here sometime next week. I ordered it through a local gunsmith who is also a competitor, and has a good rep as a 1911 mechanic around here (which is to say I trust his judgement).

I ordered it with the Dawson FO front sight and a S&A magwell, and kept the rest stock (i.e. KISS). I read a lot about trigger jobs and reliability tuning packages that companies like Brazos offers, but wanted to have the work done locally by somebody I knew (not that I doubt the work done by Brazos...) so I opted to have the pistol delivered as is, without any work done on it.

My guy recommended that I break it in first with about 500 rounds before he started working on the trigger and smoothing out the internals. I've read a few threads about people having the trigger work or tuning done before they even take delivery of the pistol, and was wondering what the opinions are on this: Break it in first then have work done on it, or vice versa? It seems to make sense to me to break it in first and let everything wear in... but I'm open to hear what folks have to say.

Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I'm just a middlin' C shooter, and probably a low 'D' when it comes to tinkering on pistols (I know enough to be dangerous...)

Cheers!

I had mine tuned prior to breakin, had hammer follow after about a thousand rounds and had to have things adjusted some.

No big deal, no ADs or anything but I would wait till after breakin next time.

I put maybe a hundred rounds through mine, just cause I felt like it, before I left it with Matt McLearn for a reliability package, tuning, trigger job etc. I went pretty much full-bore, all new fire control parts etc so I didn't see any reason to break it in since the hammer, trigger, sear, disconnector, sear, sear spring, mainspring, mainspring cap, firing pin, firing pin spring, recoil spring, ambi safeties, and extractor were all new. Pretty much everything except the barrel, bushing, frame, slide, grip safety and guide rod were new. R,

I just got some burner grips and a magwell and shot it. Sent it to JPL later on for aftec and extended ejector (as I cannot seem to fit one) , magwell blending and grip safety pinned. He may have done some trigger work as well. He had to send it back to STI as they did not finish ream the extractor hole, so you couldnt fit a new aftec.

Shoots really nice.

You may discover you're perfectly happy with it "as is".

~Mitch

A very good point!

I put maybe a hundred rounds through mine, just cause I felt like it, before I left it with Matt McLearn for a reliability package, tuning, trigger job etc. I went pretty much full-bore, all new fire control parts etc so I didn't see any reason to break it in since the hammer, trigger, sear, disconnector, sear, sear spring, mainspring, mainspring cap, firing pin, firing pin spring, recoil spring, ambi safeties, and extractor were all new. Pretty much everything except the barrel, bushing, frame, slide, grip safety and guide rod were new. R,

Bart, that makes sense. If I was going to swap out all the internals like you did, I guess breaking it in would be kind of a moot point other than the wearing in the side rails... For me, I think I'm going to put my faith in STI (based on everything I've heard about their pistols), and am anticipating that this gun will probably be just fine 'out of the box'. That said, I'm sure some aspects can be improved upon, but will probably do as recommended and break it in and see how it shoots before doing anything else.

Thanks again for the replies.

PS, how do people feel about the Trojan's STippling on the front strap? A good use for grip tape?

Edited by 2MoreChains

trojans get kind of gross after they are broken in.

Gross?

He is making a double entendre referring to Trojan condoms. :surprise:

Lol...I'm so glad STI picked that name for the gun, the jokes just write themselves...

...sigh... that they do... Want to learn about Greek mythology? Just peruse the condom aisle in a grocery store...

I bought basically the same thing, plus hardchrome, about two years ago. I would say tune first. On about the second mag, the slide locked up and could not be pulled back due to the tight tolerances. I had to hammer the slide back, pull the slide stop out, and hammer it forward. Upon doing that, a tiny sliver of metal came out, and it has run flawlessly ever since. In case you are wondering, ammo was WWB or equivalent. I absolutely love it now, but I can't say I wasn't disheartened when that happened.

I bought basically the same thing, plus hardchrome, about two years ago. I would say tune first. On about the second mag, the slide locked up and could not be pulled back due to the tight tolerances. I had to hammer the slide back, pull the slide stop out, and hammer it forward. Upon doing that, a tiny sliver of metal came out, and it has run flawlessly ever since. In case you are wondering, ammo was WWB or equivalent. I absolutely love it now, but I can't say I wasn't disheartened when that happened.

That's never a good thing....glad to hear it's working good now. Where did the metal come from?