Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MGM Double Swinger, how are you supposed to shoot it?

What's the optimal way of shooting the MGM Double Swinger target? I've never shot them.

http://mgmtargets.com/products/product_page.php?cat=5

It's the target at 2:18 of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVNeBMawTX4

The shooter shot it bottom, top, bottom.

For the first target shot... bottom or top? The bottom plate is bigger.

Should the targets be "double tapped"?

When you are shooting the alternate plate, when should you shoot it? At the middle of the arc (where it would come to rest)? At the end of the arc with the target closer to you? Or at the end of the arc with the target away from you?

Any technique difference between pistol, shotgun or rifle?

Thanks.

To me, it would depend on what skill you want to improve. If you want to improve your accuracy and speed on double-taps, then do that. If you want to work on transitions, moving targets, etc., then shoot it different ways to work on those skills. If you want to work on long shots, back off further, and you'll have instant feedback on your accuracy.

If you're shooting USPSA competition, I doubt that you'll ever see these targets in a match since they do not fall when shot. They're great for practice, though. Just my opinion.

You will see several of these at the Ironman. Be prepared to shoot them with rifle, pistol, and shotgun and maybe even one of the submachine guns supplied.

I shoot the top first usually since it is smaller and is stationary. Try to double tap with pistol and rifle. Timing is everything with these, so be careful a misplaced shot when the plate is moving towards you will stop it dead and you have to start all over again. Use buckshot when possible with the shotgun, but beware sometimes you have to shoot them with slugs.

I've spun them with 1 shotgun slug, but count a minimum of 2 good hits. With a pistol start with a full magazine, same with a .223.

I would love to see one of these at a uspsa match just to listen to the whiners. :devil:

:sight: You will see these alot at Ironman. If your are shooting a forty should take 3 rounds(straight from Mike gibson). shoot bottom, then top , them shoot the bottom as it stops swinging towards you and starts backward. 9mm should only take 5 shots just add two on the end same order( I used a 9 last year). It will have to rotate to be considered neutralized. As for the shotgun use #4 shot or full power slugs( the extra power helps the rotation) at distance. I had a blast there last year both shooting and RO'ing. If you shoot 3 gun this is the match that will test your skills and equipment. Hope this helps. :cheers: