Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow Motion Draws

Steve Anderson

I have recently found great value in slow motion draws.

It seems to tell the brain, "I want to do this correctly, THEN I want it to be done quickly"

When I went straight to a 1 or sub 1 par time, I was telling the brain, "I want to do this as fast as possible."

The latter often led to poor grip and even strong hand getting behind the slide's travel area.

Of course, Brian has mentioned this repeatedly, but I'm a slow learner sometimes...

SA

TL,

Yeah, this morning I did about 30 slow ones, then went to the fast ones and the difference was substantial.

The hands had more snap and the grip was much more secure.

What I want to see is the dot on target needing confirmation not correction.

It helps that, too.

Then I did another 30 mins. on my normal drills and then a mini field course with a swinger at the end.

Tonight I'll do it again...

SA

Going slo-mo helped my draw earlier this summer. So did putting focus on the weak-hand...go figure.

I now get my weak-hand on the gun sooner (I don't wait for the gun to come to the center-line).

All thanks to slo-mo & reverse drawing.

Slo-mo helped me as well.

I was able to clean up a bunch of unneccessary motion. I used to bring my weak hand to my chest as my SH was drawing. By shifting my focus to my WH and willing it still until I had my SH on the gun, I knocked at least 2 10ths off my draw.

Perfect timing Steve.

Several weeks now I've been starting out my dry fires with very slow motion movements. Not only in the draw but in everything that involves moving the gun to target; transitions, reloads, gun wobble while moving, etc.

I realized doing it slow helps me pick-up some visual cues on how the gun is positioned for a smooth reload for example. Or how the sights "seemed" to be right on target but actually not on the specific point I wanted to hit.

What's amazing is that these cues are still there and are still actually "visible" even when you've already increased your speed several warp drives. ;)

I really got on board for this one. I drew slower and slower. I did this in front of a mirror with another at 90 deg. to me. Man, I found about 3 things right off the bat, and even made a holster adjustment that helped. I tried Shred's advice about he 1 min. draw. After doing that, I was able to take 59 seconds off my draw.

Mike