Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is TiteGroup gett'n dirtier?

TDean

Man! My G20's muzzle area is dirty-brown after a 150rd match.  Three months ago it took at least 500rds to get that dirty.......

It's the difference in batches I guess...

..I'll have to chrono this stuff, again.

TDean,

Sure this isn't due to a humidity change?  The extra moisture in the air with the onset of Spring might affect the burn pattern.  Or, it might not....

E

Noticed similar thing when I reduced loads to the 165 PF. Incomplete ignition perhaps? Did you perhaps get to the bottom of a jug and are now shooting more settled "dust"? I think Graphite collects at the bottom of kegs/jugs of powder over time.  D.

i thought this was just from shooting lead indoors but i too have been using titegroup and it smokes like a locomotive

i really got to see it after looking at some video that we took of a match on saturday night

my load is at the low end to get 165 pf but i think i will work up to more powder and hopefully get the thorough ignition

unless you guys have a better idea?

I would think I'm getting complete ignition.  Heck TG is a fast powder and I'm using 5grs of it in a 5" barrel.

Hmmm, humidity might make the burnt powder residue stick to the gun metal more?

This was infact the bottom portion of the 1lb can of powder....

grassy, all that smoke is probably a product of the lube on yer bullets.  I've never noticed TG to be "smokey".

It's just leaving more brownish residue than normal.

I'm shooting 5.0gr's of TG under a 165 JHP (Star) @ 1.187".  After a long practice session Monday, I examined the barrel and it was pretty damn clean in my opinion.  The muzzle area had some soot, but the barrel was clean.  I haven't done more than run more bore-snake down my barrel a half dozen times in about 2000 rounds too.

I use TG for the match load in my 38Super NRA Open gun. I am still running through the 15 x 1lb I purchased in one lot. We only get two shipments a year to our local distributor, if we are lucky. Therefore all same batch. So I have not noticed any great difference other than from winter to summer. I have to up .2gr to 5.2gr for winter. If you keep your powder in cool dark place and gently shake can before each use, unless you go through a can a reload session, I think this will help reduce the graphite settling problem. VihtaVouri is a little cleaner but my Open gun prefers TG for 50M accuracy??

Happy Shooting

I am with you there, Jon. Have used TG, straight Clays, 231 and N320 in non comped LTD gun since they are all FAST and produce soft recoil. Have headed the other way with my open gun in order to get the comp working - using slow VV N350 and even N-105 "supermagnum" - read: slow, powder. Can't think of a powder that would do it all - at least not well. D.