Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 RTF frame with G34 slide: legal in production?

boomfab

Title says it all. Is it legal in USPSA Production division?

Welcome to the forums.

Short answer is no. Technically speaking, the receiver must be mated with a slide/barrel that is the same as the one it was originally intended for.

It has been argued that, at least for the FGR and previous models, that the small frame receivers are identical among the 9mm and 40 variants, save for small interchangeable parts which are legal to swap out, that, unless you shouted it from the mountaintop, only a comparison of the serial #'s of the slide and receiver would show the change, and that it shouldn't matter what source model the frame was originally, but it's a technical violation nonetheless.

Now, for the RTF's, it would also matter if Glock has produced G17 and G34 versions. If not both, it would be more apparent that the top ends had been switched, and that your G17 RTF had been turned into a G34 - not allowed.

Kevin C

splng edt

Edited by kevin c

My understanding is that GLOCK makes them available for general use in any model that the release or slide lock will fit, sort of like the adjustable sight on the 34/35, so they're considered factory interchangeable parts available for all models, as far as USPSA is concerned.

Edited by kevin c

Until Glock offers a G34 RTF, I would suggest using TruGrip a go on the original G34 frame. From what I have felt from the RTF's, TruGrip offers a better grab on the pistol anyway.

Where has the common sense gone in USPSA. Let's see you can slather Tru Grip all over your gun, but you can't have a RTF lower. <_< That makes about as much sense as an earlier thread that stated you could not put a G35 upper on your G17 lower.

Where has the common sense gone in USPSA. Let's see you can slather Tru Grip all over your gun, but you can't have a RTF lower. <_< That makes about as much sense as an earlier thread that stated you could not put a G35 upper on your G17 lower.

Or even better, you can spend hundreds of dollars milling a slide for Bomars and even swap the slide out for an aftermarket one in Production, but you can't remove the firing pin block.

Until Glock offers a G34 RTF, I would suggest using TruGrip a go on the original G34 frame. From what I have felt from the RTF's, TruGrip offers a better grab on the pistol anyway.

I agree. Haven't shot a RTF, but handled one in a shop, and TruGrip definitely has a much more aggressive texture for a more secure grip. That being said, the RTF is still better than the previous texturing on the FGR models.