Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heels And Prone

GordonB

I took a general rifle class a couple of months ago and one of their points on the prone position was to have the heels flat on the ground. Their reasoning (IIRC) was by having the heels flat, tremors or at least the transmission of the tremors to the gun are lessened.

They presented two techniques for this... both heels flat on the ground... or (if the shooter is unable to for some reason... i.e. a little on the chunky side :D... like I am : :mellow:) have the strong-side heel flat and the weak-side leg bent (near 90 degrees) and the weak heel not neccessarily flat against the ground.

Does it really or significantly increase accuracy and/or lessen fatigue?

Is this technique used in 3-gun?

If it is used, when do you use it? All the time? or Does your technique change if you need to move out of the prone position? Target difficulty?

Chris is right. Shooting IPSC rifle prone is all about getting down and into position fast, fast and faster. then it gets reduced to getting the sight picture that will work for any given target fast, fast and faster. Seldom will little things like foot position mean anything compared to how fast you can flop and shoot just accurately enough to keep up the speed. Even in USPSA MOR it's almost all about hitting the target just good enough fast, not getting an X versus a 10 as in NRA High Power Rifle.

Regards,

:D and here I thought "what do high heels stilettos have to do with going prone?"

One the serious side, a flat heel position, is kinda awkward for most shooters. I believe most of what us 3 gunners would run into, a basic prone and quick sight picture is more important. I've never paid attention to what my legs are doing in the prone position except to keep one knee higher than the other to keep my chest/belly slightly off the ground, the sight picture would be less affected by breathing.

I've never paid attention to what my legs are doing in the prone position except to keep one knee higher than the other to keep my chest/belly slightly off the ground, the sight picture would be less affected by breathing.

Sweet. Gotta try that.

Heel Position!?

I'd be happy if all I had to do was go prone at a 3-gun! Try a squat, in mud under a barricade, uphill. Or a 90 degree roll to your rifle, shooting between slats 1-1/2" apart at poppers at 75 yards with a no-shoot behind them.

Someone else said it first; Get down, get a look and get the shot! You want to win, you'll be on your way to the next array while the other guy is still futzing with ankle and heel position.

Seriously, being able to get into AND out of a contorted position is probably as or more important than being able to shoot 1/2 minute groups. Most of what we do if you can hit 2-3 minutes you are good to go!