Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI IMM

geronimo

Hello,

I am hesitating about what I should choose : an IMM or a SVI pistol with a standard slide and barrel (for the Open division)

Some people told me it can have some problems with IMM. What do you think about ? The owners of IMM are satisfied ?

I know the subject has already been dealt but I would like to have several opinions before investing...

Maybe the people who own an IMM or a SVI open can post some photos. It could help me to choose the options...

I am french and I am sorry for my bad english.

Nicolas

I'm afraid this is one of the things that fall into the arena of personal preference. There does seem to be a slight trend of getting away from holes in the barrel, but there are plenty of people who feel they are quite effective.

The usual advice is to try and find people at matches who have the different styles you are considering, and see if you can try them out.

Any other way is like asking people if they prefer Nike, Addidas, New Balance, etc. The answer is always, "it depends".

Hello,

I am hesitating about what I should choose : an IMM or a SVI pistol with a standard slide and barrel (for the Open division)

Some people told me it can have some problems with IMM. What do you think about ? The owners of IMM are satisfied ?

I know the subject has already been dealt but I would like to have several opinions before investing...

Maybe the people who own an IMM or a SVI open can post some photos. It could help me to choose the options...

Nicolas

Welcome Nicolas,

You're English is just fine!

The only "problem" with IMM guns is that not as many powders will safely make Major in them. If you're shooting IPSC in Europe that would be less of a concern with the slightly lower power factor and the slightly heavier minimum bullet weight. Trying to make Major out of an IMM with 115gr bullets can be done, but I think they're only about two or three powders they normally recommend for it.

I know that doesn't answer your question very well, but it really is one of those things that people have to try for themselves before deciding. Good luck with the decision! R,

Hello,

Nicolas

Welcome Nicolas,

You're English is just fine!

The only "problem" with IMM guns is that not as many powders will safely make Major in them. If you're shooting IPSC in Europe that would be less of a concern with the slightly lower power factor and the slightly heavier minimum bullet weight. Trying to make Major out of an IMM with 115gr bullets can be done, but I think they're only about two or three powders they normally recommend for it.

I know that doesn't answer your question very well, but it really is one of those things that people have to try for themselves before deciding. Good luck with the decision! R,

One of my blasters is an IMM, 10grains of 3N38 or 10.2 of SP-2 will make major with a 124 jhp every time. I have five other open guns and the IMM shoots flatter by a long shot!

Trying to make Major out of an IMM with 115gr bullets can be done, but I think they're only about two or three powders they normally recommend for it.

If Nicolas is shooting IPSC in Europe, I believe minimum bullet weight allowed is 120 gr to make major.

Trying to make Major out of an IMM with 115gr bullets can be done, but I think they're only about two or three powders they normally recommend for it.

If Nicolas is shooting IPSC in Europe, I believe minimum bullet weight allowed is 120 gr to make major.

Yes, and I mentioned that specifically along with the lower power factor. I was doing a compare-contrast sorta thing. R,

One of my blasters is an IMM, 10grains of 3N38 or 10.2 of SP-2 will make major with a 124 jhp every time. I have five other open guns and the IMM shoots flatter by a long shot!

Sure, but SP-2 isn't available here any longer from what I understand. That leaves what 3N38, N105 and maybe 4756? All fine powders, no doubt, but my point was simply that you are limited to just a couple of powders. That may or not be a deal breaker for some folks....I'm not passing judgement on it, just stating the way it is in case it makes a difference. I'm using N105 already and have a bunch of 3N38...and I buy in bulk when what I use is available, so it wouldn't be a problem for me, but I know other folks who have sold an IMM gun just to be able to use different powders. R,

Hello,

Nicolas

Nicolas,

I just got into USPSA about 4 months ago. I had the exact same issue as you. For me the decision was a little easier because I used the classifieds and saved some money by purchasing a used IMM from a member. So far, the gun has running like a dream and I have had no issues to speak of. Like everyone will tell you though, it will be better if you ask fellow shooters to test their gear. If you where in the states I would let ya shoot her until the barrel was red. I'll have a picture posted up tomorrow for you.

Preston

Thank you for your answers.

You're right. In Europe the minimum bullet weight allowed is 120 gr to make major (160). It's not the same rule for you in US ?

What's your barrel/compensator configuration ? Because SVI recommend only 3N38 for the tribrid barrel and 6 hybrid holes + compensator configuration. They say there are no knows substitute at this time... except for the barrels with fewer than 4 holes or 3 ports (without holes)...

Nicolas

:P

Yes, and I mentioned that specifically along with the lower power factor. I was doing a compare-contrast sorta thing. R,

Sure, but SP-2 isn't available here any longer from what I understand

I believe that Geronimo mentioned that he is in France, my understanding is that SP-2 is made in France. :I bought about 200 lbs from Graf when they were closing it out 7-8 years ago, NO I don't want to sell any!

abs

:P

Sure, but SP-2 isn't available here any longer from what I understand

I believe that Geronimo mentioned that he is in France, my understanding is that SP-2 is made in France. :I bought about 200 lbs from Graf when they were closing it out 7-8 years ago, NO, I don't want to sell any! Geronimo, my old IMM had 3 huge expansion ports (square) and 3 tribrid ports with a 3 baffle comp and two side bleeders. My new configuration is four tribred holes a two port comp and two bleeders on the side. It requires about .5 grains less of SP-2 or 3N38 than the old one. According to Brandon, this is the latest and greatest technology!

abs

Thank you for your answers.

You're right. In Europe the minimum bullet weight allowed is 120 gr to make major (160). It's not the same rule for you in US ?

What's your barrel/compensator configuration ? Because SVI recommend only 3N38 for the tribrid barrel and 6 hybrid holes + compensator configuration. They say there are no knows substitute at this time... except for the barrels with fewer than 4 holes or 3 ports (without holes)...

Nicolas

I have a Hybrid barrel. It runs 10.6 3n38 124MG JHP @ 1.235. It has 3 "popple holes" and a three port comp w/ 2 side ports. I haven't ventured into any other powders because 3n38 works. I tend to follow the rules when it comes to things that explode. :mellow:

Dang, I was going to try and have some pictures posted but my camera needs to be unpacked from all my junk. When I get it out of hiding I'll have some pictures for you.

Preston

I have 2 IMM guns and they are the newer setup with the 4 hybrid holes and getting them to make major is no problem using 121's with 3n38 or 4756 or 7625. I would assume I could also do it with 3n37 but have not tried as I am happy with the 3n38 load. I have also tried longshot and liked the way it shot, but only tried it with 124's. I havent used 115's for open in 4 years. I dont see it being a problem thouogh. Pressure isnt an issue either. The gun tracks excellently and other than a broken extractor, they have been solid and trouble free. You do have to clean the cmores a little more than other guns but thats life.

I have 2 IMM guns and they are the newer setup with the 4 hybrid holes and getting them to make major is no problem using 121's with 3n38 or 4756 or 7625. I would assume I could also do it with 3n37 but have not tried as I am happy with the 3n38 load. I have also tried longshot and liked the way it shot, but only tried it with 124's. I havent used 115's for open in 4 years. I dont see it being a problem thouogh. Pressure isnt an issue either. The gun tracks excellently and other than a broken extractor, they have been solid and trouble free. You do have to clean the cmores a little more than other guns but thats life.

+1

Residue covers the cmore even with a blast shield but it comes of easy from my experience. The blast isn't bad with three hybrid holes but it is allllll preference. Are you 100% positive that you want popple holes because they aren't reversible. You can however add them later if you feel the need. Also, I haven't shot as many rounds as most of these fellas but so far there hasn't been any maintenance issues.

Scirocco38s -

About how many rounds did you have down the tube before you had extractor issues?

Preston

About 20k on the extractor that broke. It wasnt a big deal to me as I already had another fitted extractor for the gun. Besides these guns are high performance and little things will break after awhile. The other gun(the practice gun) has over 40k thru it with no broken parts at all.. Both of my guns are setup light also, no tunsten, standard dustcovers, only difference is 1 has aluminum cmore as that was all I could find at the time. So I guess it is 2 oz's heavier.

Overall I have been very satisfied with the guns and the performance of them. I would buy another if I needed to. (I hope I dont)

• 2 weeks later...

IMM guns with the 2 holed barrel are easy to work up loads.

the ones with 6 holes are a pain in the ass. Very hard to make major. 10+ grains of 3n38, and that might get you there. I have two of the IMM's. One has a barrel which is just comped, and the other is getting rebarreled with a 9mm. If you like short fast guns, they work well.