Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ricochets

spook

Got a nasty one in my chest last match. Guy shoots at a Kevlar backstop, from 2 yds. Bounced right off, hit the stone wall of the indoor range and punched a hole in my chest, and was stopped by my sternum. It bounced off of my sternum and hit a guy in the back (6 yds down range).

Doctor said I was lucky it didn't hit my neck or face. I hate it when this happens. Makes me think of quitting this game and taking up chess or having an antfarm.

Hi Spook,

As I said on the Dutch NPSA forum, I'm glad you survived, wish you well and hope you will continue shooting (now Hans-Peter was the only revolver shooter left in that match :( )

I did not see the accident but I shot the match too and was also functioning as RO in that match.

The target was attached to a moveable construction, where the bullets are stopped by a Kevlar plate. These constructions are used to create more flexible stages.

However, in this particular case the shooter in question violated the 180 degree rule so that the target was hit in an unsafe angle - hence the shooter was DQ-ed.

It was very unfortunate that the bullet came back and hit Spook. This accident has already been discussed thoroughly and is still being discussed. Suggestions have already been done to lessen the chance of something like this happening even further.

Yeah, it's kind of a new thing. Since almost all of our shooting is done indoors in The Netherlands we use mobile backstops for some targets (a country the size of New Hampshire and Vermont put together and 16+ million residents cannot have many outdoor ranges).

These backstops are sometimes made of Kevlar, the same stuff they use to make bulletproof vests. Problem with this stage was that the backstop was positioned 1 yd from a stone wall and the angle between it and the wall was approx. 40 degrees. The targets on the backstop could be enaged from 2 yds while running past them. The guy that shot the bullet I caught crossed the chargeline and engaged the bulletstop from a 180+ degrees position, causing the bullet to strike the backstop and bounce instead of entering it (angle was about 30 degrees). then it hit the stone wall behind it bounced towards me.

Chargeline on those targets was more of a 180 indicator. Way too close IMO. 2 more guys were DQed on the same chargeline while I was in the hospital. Could have happened 2 more times.

I know that this sound weird but there is an indoor range here that is a ricochet alley. Whenever we shoot there there are a couple of us that get zapped, not too bad though. The last time I shot an IDPA match there I took one to the chest that stung like crazy. When I shoot there now I wear a vest. Maybe I'm being over cautious but you never know.

I've only had blood drawn once or twice from fragments coming off of poppers.

When I took over as MD, the first thing I did was make sure our poppers and USPs were flat as opposed to their then-current curved condition.

My hate is people who don't reverse reversable poppers.