Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended mag release modification?

Solidgun

the rulebook has some specifics regarding whats legal and not in relation to mag release for each division.

one item that is expressly prohibited is oversize buttons on top of mag releases. as for extended, there is a certain limit but again you'll have to refer to the rulebook.

Yeah, I don't have any big thumb size buttons on these items, but that's what I have installed on my G23 and on 1911s, I have ones that extend out about 1/16th of an inch compared to the original. I really couldn't tell from the rulebook so wanted to hear from others that may have these installed that have had their equipment inspected.

Thank you for your input.

It's perfectly legal in IDPA to install on any Glock any part that is provided as stock on any Glock model. Thus the extended buttons from the competition and large frame Glocks may be retrofitted to the other guns in the line.

As to practical considerations, the common "wisdom" is that the Glock extended mag release buttons are great for competition but a bad idea on a carry gun. Frankly I found the exact opposite to be true. I carried a Glock 34 with the extended button for a year as my daily concealment piece without a single problem - in concealment. Where I found the problem, actually, was at matches when forced to pick up the gun from a table start. The button could be - and occasionally was - depressed enough when being picked up to allow the mag to fall free. (Saw the same thing happen to Dave Sevigny at the 2002 Factory Gun Nationals, too.) Now I just run a short button even on the G34.

My son and I both use the extended mag release. Of course my 34 came with it, but we installed one on his 17. I have the "Vickers" extended mag. release on my G19.

My question is the factory extended mag release legal for ESP division? I ask this due to the "permitted mods" section for ESP and rule number 9.

PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):

1. Sights to another notch and post type (see “sights” in

glossary for further information).

2. Grips (no weighted grips; see “weighted grips” in glossary

for further details).

3. Internal accuracy work (includes: replacement of the barrel

with one of factory configuration, the use of Accu-Rails, the

use of Briley Bushings).

4. Internal reliability work.

5. Checker frontstrap and backstrap.

6. Checker or square and checker trigger guard.

7. Cosmetic checkering/serrating.

8. Extended thumb (may be ambidextrous) and Beavertail grip

safeties.

9. Extended magazine release (button may not be oversize in

diameter or protrude more than .2” out from the frame).

10. Factory installed cone style barrels on pistols with a barrel

length of 4.2” or less.

11. Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no

heavier than common steel.

12. Hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger

pull (includes the use of over travel stop).

13. Beveled magazine well and add-on well extensions.

14. Custom finishes.

EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):

1. Full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel.

2. Oversize diameter magazine release buttons.

3. Trigger shoes.

4. Slide lightening (see “slide, lightening” in glossary for

further information).

5. Refer to Appendix ONE-A. Firearms-Non-IDPA-Legal

Modifications.

Also, I have TrueGrip tape on my 34. Can I still use it for ESP? I thought someone told me last year the grip tape was not allowed in ESP.

Bob

You can use the Glock factory extended magazine release in any Glock in any division. The same goes for the grip tape, it is legal for all divisions.

Thanks for the response.

How about the factory extended slide release that comes on the G34. Is it still legal for ESP with that on the pistol?

Thanks for the response.

How about the factory extended slide release that comes on the G34. Is it still legal for ESP with that on the pistol?

Same deal applies to the slide lock. Some have put the slide lock on only to take it off later because they found that they were bumping it up while shooting. A Glock usually drops it's own slide if you reload forcefully.

Thanks for the response.

Same deal applies to the slide lock. Some have put the slide lock on only to take it off later because they found that they were bumping it up while shooting. A Glock usually drops it's own slide if you reload forcefully.

I've kept mine on my 34 but my son had to take it off his 17. He still bumps it and almost always has a dry fire during a stage. It took me forever to get him to use the proper thumb over thumb method when he was a little younger and then wouldn't you know it, he got bigger and so did his hands! LOL!

At our local range's IDPA event last month, he got some advice from a well known shooter (Ken Hackathorn) about how to change his hold on the pistol to stop the unwanted slide releases. Since he won't listen to dad, maybe he'll take Ken's advice. :mellow:

Thanks for the reply.

It's perfectly legal in IDPA to install on any Glock any part that is provided as stock on any Glock model. Thus the extended buttons from the competition and large frame Glocks may be retrofitted to the other guns in the line.

As to practical considerations, the common "wisdom" is that the Glock extended mag release buttons are great for competition but a bad idea on a carry gun. Frankly I found the exact opposite to be true. I carried a Glock 34 with the extended button for a year as my daily concealment piece without a single problem - in concealment. Where I found the problem, actually, was at matches when forced to pick up the gun from a table start. The button could be - and occasionally was - depressed enough when being picked up to allow the mag to fall free. (Saw the same thing happen to Dave Sevigny at the 2002 Factory Gun Nationals, too.) Now I just run a short button even on the G34.

I got a video clip of a SSP Ma shooter that [helped]cost him DC at the Okie state match this yr..stage 11..gun started covered up on the ground,and when he picked it up and fired the 1st shot..oooops..he recovered quit well...us LH shooters seldom have that trouble..